Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

As Promised

Well, I didn't exactly get around to it right away, but here are a few pictures from the Asheville Quilt Show. This first quilt won Best of Show and it really is an example of simplicity winning the attention of the judges. The work on this quilt was excellent but it certainly was more low key than some of the others. I personally think that it is so very difficult to choose "one best" of anything in a large group.



(By the way, all of these images are in a sideways position) This quilt was made by Barbara Swinea of Asheville and won 1st place in the Professional Pieced Category. If you click on it and open it up into a larger format, you can really see just how wonderful it is. (It was one of my personal favorites). This was the first time that I had seen any of her solo work. Previously, I had just seen her collaborative works with Linda Cantrell.

And this is another of the First Place Winners. I really can't begin to tell you just how high quality this show is--and it's not a juried show. The Asheville Guild is full of creative people and, with the decent prize money, they also attract quilts from a pretty wide area.






And finally, a work in progress (and you can see it better if you click it to enlarge). I taught a class Saturday at People, Places & Quilts on the Drunkard's Path. I really love to teach this class, because there are so many, many ways to use this very simple block and come up with some pretty dramatic quilts. And students are always so amazed to learn that sewing a curved seam is not all that hard. At least three of the women came away with that affirmation this time.

I had taken this quilt top to the class as an example of another layout for the Drunkard's Path. After I got back home, I stenciled in a design on the white blocks and then thought long and hard about the color of the thread and the quilting for the rest of the top. And so, I did something a little different from anything I've done before. That's why I like to quilt things that will never be prize winners. It's a great opportunity to work out ideas. I'm really pleased with this concept and will definitely use it again.


Well, it's back up to the mountains tomorrow and I'm hoping the air conditioner is working. It'll be cooler than Charleston, but it will still be HOT!

2 comments:

Corky said...

Judy, I've just discovered your blog and wanted to let you know I stopped by. You already know I love your work. When I grow up I want to be just like you!

Carolinian in Texas said...

Judy....This is from Kerry in Texas. I have a picture of your quilt hanging in the Dallas show. I will have to send it to you. Imagine my surprise when I turned a corner and there was a quilt that I recognized. I guess there are some advantages of living in Texas...lol.