Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Web of Life



My husband, Smokey, went outside to leave on an errand but came back in and told me to come out and see the cool beauty created by nature.
The entire area around our entrance was covered with the little cobwebs. There had been a heavy fog in the morning and the dew had settled on each of them, making an incredible work of art. I looked at them more closely and saw a little hole in each one--a hole in which I guess the little spider (or creature) had gone back down into the ground. (Click to enlarge picture if you can't see the little opening) It was just so cool to see this little quirk of nature--and what with it being so close to Halloween . . .Hmmmmm.
And then, last night we went to a poetry reading in downtown Charleston with the renowned poet Coleman Barks reciting (such a mundane word for such a great rendering) the poetry of Rumi, the 13th century mystic. We have been reading these poems everyday for over a year and were so excited to have this opportunity. And, coincidentally, one of the major emphases of his poems is the importance of nature in our lives. He would have LOVED to have stepped outside of his tent on one fine autumn day and have seen these little webs. The difference between him and me, however, is that he probably would have spent QUITE a long time pondering the significance of the event. I'm not there yet.
And, today, we're back in the mountains. I was thrilled to see that my Angel's Trumpet has many new buds on it and, hopefully, the freeze will hold off long enough for a few blooms. And tonight I am back at work on my Swamp Hibiscus quilt--doing some satin stitching around applique pieces, etc. We brought up another sewing table and Smokey "altered" an old sewing machine insert I had so that my Bernina can fit into the smaller opening--he's a whiz.
Tuesday, my friend Nancy Coleman is coming up for the day and we will be going to the Asheville Guild meeting to attend a lecture by Kaffe Fassett. That ought to be fun. She had told me that she was waiting to come see our new place until we had finished the work on it and were settled in. I told her that it would be a LONG wait.

No comments: