Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Studio Tour

Most of you know that we have moved from Charleston, SC to Hendersonville, NC. I am VERY glad to be here but, amongst other things, I left behind a WONDERFUL studio. My husband had it configured especially for me and my quilting when we remodelled the house we bought from his mother.
The house we are currently living in is less than ideal for many reasons (and this may not be our final stop) and I would put my studio into that category also. However, it works and, truthfully, is better than many I've seen. So I'm not complaining--I'm just trying to make it work as well as possible and I thought I'd share a few pictures so those of you who have seen my old studio can kind of have an image of where I am now (and those of you who've never seen my studio can also have a look!).
In my Charleston studio, I had a wonderful work table comprised of 10 cabinets and a custom top. The first thing we came to terms with when we were trying to move was that we were just going to have to throw away the top as it wasn't going to hold up to the move. And the other thing we realized was that not all of the cabinets were going to fit into the new space. Only six will work--but I'm really enjoying them and being able to put away things. Smokey made a "temporary" plywood top (we all know how "temporary" often becomes "permanent"!) and it is working great. And you can see some of my fabric in the background.


And here is some more of my fabric and shelving. We got these shelves at Lowe's several years ago and would liked to have gotten more but they seemed to have discontinued the white version. They have been really sturdy and have held up to a couple of moves.

And here on the right is my computer station. I am sort of "camping out" for now and will bring my "real" desk up after our house sells. It's kind of a thrill to use the printer as the little table it's sitting on shakes, rattles and rolls when it starts to print!

And, finally, here are two shots of my sewing area. I have another sewing cabinet that will be brought up in one of our many trailor load trips. I'm in the middle of quilting the quilt that I pieced at out TTT retreat this year and the shot on the right shows my "puddling" method. I like to quilt with a lot of flat space around the machine so that it doesn't pull on the stitching as I'm quilting.

And for those of you who may have sharp eyes and have noticed the machine I'm using, yes, I DO have the new Bernina--and am loving it. I was able to get it because we just settled my mother-in-law's estate and I think of it as my present from her. She gave me my very first sewing machine the first year Smokey and I were married and I know that she would be glad that I used some of her bequest to get this. She was always so proud of my quilting and made quite a point of letting the ladies at the retirement home see pictures of my work. I'm naming the machine "Miss Susie" because that's what her husband called her.

One final picture: This is my working drawing of my next project. I'm beginning to pick out the fabric and am just about ready to get going on it. I know you can't tell a lot from this picture but, hopefully, you'll see something a little more "colorful" in the near future.

4 comments:

Corky said...

JUDY! I didn't know you got the new machine. Congratulations! Your new studio looks great. Not quite like the old one, but still a nice space.

I like the drawing of the new work. Can't wait to see it in fabric.

Maureen said...

So pleased to read your new posting. Have missed reading Carolina Musings.
The studio has come a long way since we saw it last month. It looks great. I'll bet you are enjoying "Miss Susie". What a wonderful way to remember Smokey's mother.
Looking forward to seeing the fabrics you will be using for the new design.
We miss you and hope you will be able to join us the end of September.
Maureen

Jeanne said...

so glad to see you getting your studio set up and organized, so you can let the creativity flow!!
Congratulations on your new machine, is this to take the place of the Juki as a quilting machine?
Hope to see the new design in full color soon.

Judy Heyward said...

Corky--I answered your post but it didn't publish--Oh well. I just got the machine a little over a week ago. It's now back in the shop for a minor adjustment--I hope. To answer your question, Jeanne, I am hoping that it will replace the Juki. I finished quilting a large quilt and was very pleased with the ability to see the quilting as I went and also with the quality of the stitches.
And Marureen, I'm going to try to get there at the end of the month but I'm now in physical therapy 2x a week for my frozen shoulder (Yuk! but I'm hoping for some relief). The other facet of that is that my insurance runs out on the 30th and Medicare kicks in on the 1st--which means I can't go to therapy on either of those days because I don't want to take a chance on who's footing the bill. As they say, timing is everything. I miss ya'll--you know that--and I'll do my best.