Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Weather Outside Is Frightful, But The Fire Is So Delightful

Like many parts of the United States, our neck of the woods has been frigid--breaking a 25 year record of continuous days with the high temperatures under freezing. And it doesn't look as if it's going to get much warmer in the next few days.

When I came down into my studio the other morning, the temperature in the room was 45 degrees! That was too cold to even think about working. And this is the kind of thing that can happen when you buy an old house (55 years old) in the summer. It was nice and cool in the house then (we're in the mountains, after all), but it held no hint of what the furnace would or wouldn't do once winter hit.

BUT, now I'm a very happy camper. We have had a set of sealed gas logs installed in the fireplace opening (it's another long story as to why the 2 fireplaces can't be used) and my room is almost toasty. I am greatful, ecstatic and just plain happy. And while we were at it, we also had them installed in the upstairs fireplace and a pellet stove in the garage/workshop. So now I can say, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

I have begun to quilt my Summer Beauties wallhanging. I was really at a loss about just how to quilt the background for the basket of flowers. I love the gradated fabric and didn't want to lose that in the quilting process. I did find thread that matched the three main shades of the background and started quilting it that way, but I hated it almost right away. (Thank goodness, because that meant a LOT fewer stitches to pick out). So, I decided to go with a color that matched the darkest part ( poly thread instead of cotton) and I am very happy with the result. It's one of those things that you're not really sure about until you go ahead and try it--and that's why I'm probably one of the Queen's of the "Pick-Out" Club!
Keep warm everyone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved Summer Beauties looking forward to seeing it in person. Good to hear you are all warm and toasty with your new gas logs.
Who would ever believed such a cold winter.
I had my last caramel tonight. Thank you for the nice surprise.
Looking forward to seeing you soon.
Maureen

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Maureen. Glad you enjoyed them. I hope that your eye surgery went well and that your already good sense of color will be even better!

Maureen said...

The second surgery was today and so far so good. Eye a little scratchy tonight but expected that.
Thanks for the compliment on color but now that I can see so much better I wonder what I was looking at before.
Hope to see you soon.
Maureen