Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Imagine

One of the great things about being part of an art quilt group is that it can make you stretch your boundaries--to step out of your particular box.  My box USUALLY contains a lot of flowers.  Gardening and flowers have always been a part of my life (although not so much this summer with all of this heat and sandy soil).  Our group decided that our challenge for the last quarter would be to create a quilt based on a song, poem or book. 
I guess I could have chosen something that was based on a flower, but that wasn't was came immediately to mind.  It didn't take but about 10 seconds to come up with John Lennon's Imagine.  I didn't actually hear that song until years after it was published--and most likely until after John had been killed (which made it more than a little poignant)--but when I did hear it, it made such an impression that I have carried it with me ever since.

So, this is my interpretation.  I am imagining a place where differences in religions no longer cause wars and hatred.  The people at the bottom of the quilt are carrying the symbols of their particular religion and offering them up to the highest power.  As they travel upwards, the symbols lose their negative power and meld into a community of peace and love.  Yes, I guess that you could say that I'm a dreamer.

6 comments:

Corky said...

Oh, wow, Judy. This is fantastic. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to see it in person yesterday.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks a lot Corky. You know I value your opinion.

Jeanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanne said...

Great job Judy, this is really a great interpretation of the song. It reminds me at first glance of a Chile Pepper so maybe you are not so far off the gardening phase after all. Love It!

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Jeanne--I'll have to think about that chili pepper!

KK said...

Judy - when I first saw it I thought Chili Pepper too. I love your symbolism and wish everyone in the world were a dreamer like you. Imagine has always been one of my favorites - sophomore year in college and onward. To this day it makes me misty eyed and prayerful. Hope you are planning to enter your Imagine somewhere when it is finished.