Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Eating Crow

When I got to the place in the quilt that I'm working on that I was ready to add another border, I knew that I wanted it to have pieced blocks.  And I also wanted the blocks to reflect the motion that was in the central part of the quilt. So . . . I looked through my electric quilt software and came up with a block that had curved seams and sort of reflected the motion that I was after.  Well, I who thought I would have absolutely no trouble piecing curved seams, hit a wall.  I struggled and struggled with this block and finally gave up.  I just could not make the two pieces of fabric end at the same place at the end of seams.  I went back to the computer drawing board and, finally, had to accept the fact that foundation piecing was the way to go to achieve what I wanted.  Have I ever mentioned that foundation piecing is NOT
 my favorite thing?  Well, it's not.  And I needed 20 blocks!
The problem for me is that I have an issue with working backwards (and that's why I don't join my husband in his activity of rowing a shell in the lake).  The solution for me is to just use a LOT of fabric so I don't end up with blank spaces that require repair.  And you can see the result on the floor of my studio.  I'm sure I must use about twice the amount of fabric that is required.
I mentioned my aversion to one of the queens of foundation piecing, Jane Hall.  She's written the book on foundation piecing--many times over.  And she's a dear, lovely person.  Her answer to me?  "If you'd ever just take one of my classes, you'd learn to love it."  O.K., Jane, I'm ready.


1 comment:

Corky said...

Looking forward to seeing the entire quilt. Your foundation blocks are right down my alley!