Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year

Well, Christmas has come and gone and I hope that it was a good one for everyone. Each year, we try to do at least one thing with a Christmas theme and so this year we went to see the gingerbread houses in Asheville at the Grove Park Inn. To say that they were wonderful would be a gross understatement. When you look at this particular house--with a scene inside--it's just really hard to think about the hours and patience that it took to complete it. And everything on it has to be edible. This other house struck my eye because it was so funky. Neither of these were the Best of Show but they sure were great. I used to make gingerbread houses for my grandchildren every year and they would decorate them and it was loads of fun. We have taken them to see this show in Asheville a couple of years and I think they appreciated the effort that went into them after working on their own.

Another thing I do whenever I go to the Grove Park Inn (which is a work of art in itself) is to take my camera and photograph wall hangings and china that they have displayed all around . I almost always come away with new element idea for a quilt.

Since I have been working on quilting my summer hibiscus quilt for the last few weeks, I really have nothing new to post. So I thought I'd post a quilt that I recently finished (about 6 months ago) that was an unfinished project from a class I took several years ago with Barbara Olson. She does a lot of quilts with a cosmic theme and these she called cosmic spirals. I really love her work. I finished the spirals almost right away and then did the black and white border and THEN, it sat. I got inspired a few months back and finally finished it and it hangs over the fireplace in our house in Hendersonville.
So that's all for now. I hope that everyone has a truly Happy New Year and that this year will be full of many blessings for each of us. May we be kind to those around us and appreciate our neighbors and may the creative muse overtake us and send us to places we never dreamed exisited.

2 comments:

KK said...

Judy - your inspiration was perfect for your Cosmic Spirals - I love the edge finishing and the scroll on the bottom border.

Corky said...

I KNEW Cosmic Spirals had to come from a class with Barbara Olsen. I took a class with her as well, but never finished my project. I love yours!

Happy New Year!