Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

It's Been A While

Do you ever feel as if you are just a little out of control? That's the way I've been for a while. Our house is for sale--and, of course, we'd like to get that over and done with--and I feel like I'm living between two worlds. My husband had hand surgery last Monday and we spent a fair amount of time before that getting things done that he wouldn't be able to do for several (probably many) weeks. What it has all boiled down to is that my head hasn't been right for quilting. What I have mainly been doing is practicing "being in the moment." And that really is the best thing anyone can do no matter life circumstances are lurking in the corners.

But yesterday I had a really delightful morning. A friend called up and we went to Landrum, SC to their quilt show. Landrum is in the upstate of South Carolina--right by the border before North Carolina. It is a pretty small town and I really didn't have a high level of expectation about the quilts we would see there. Boy was I wrong! The quilts were absolutely wonderful. Many of them--like the one on the right here--were hand quilted--and with tiny stitches. Georgia Bonesteel had (I think) 3 quilts in the show and at least two of them were handquilted (sorry, those pics didn't turn out).
Others, like the flower basket quilt, used standard elements in an unusual way. And this yellow quilt was pieced by a lady in the 30"s and her granddaughter recently hand quilted it. There were a couple of other quilts that were generational, also and I really find that to a be very powerful thing in this day of disposable everything.
And then there were the quilts that were just plain bright and happy. I didn't get a full picture of the quilt on the left, but I loved the flying geese addition to the borders. It really jazzed it up.And some were strictly original as this cat quilt that was in memoriam for a beloved pet and the bird quilt that recalled a much enjoyed trip. So, all in all, it was a great show--one that encouraged you to pause and consider not only the quilts themselves but the unknown quilters who created them A very uplifting morning.
But now, my little friend Maizie--who lives ONLY in the moment is letting me know that THIS is the moment in which I should get off the computer and go get her lease so we can enjoy the beautiful morning. Be right there, Maizie!

5 comments:

Corky said...

Thanks for sharing your trip to the show Judy. Glad to hear you're doing okay. I miss you!

Jeanne said...

Those are some very wonderful quilts that you had the chance to see. Thanks for sharing and we did miss you at guild. Hope things will level out for you soon.

Judy Heyward said...

Glad you both enjoyed the quilts. It's a show defintely worth visiting and the vendors were pretty good, too--
SchoolHouse Quilts, the Pizza Ladies and about 12 more. I restrained myself! Smokey's hand is a little better today (he's out driving on an errand) so now maybe I can get back to a little quilting.

Maureen said...

Thanks for sharing the quilt pictures really enjoyed the show. Good to hear Smokey nis out and about on his own. We miss you.
Maureen

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Maureen. I miss all of you, too. You are one fine lady!