Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Best of Show!

I got an exciting call from Quiltfest in Jacksonville the other night.  They were calling to say that my quilt, Arabian Mystery had been named Best of Show.  To say that I was excited would be an understatement.  And then, they told me that my other quilt, Say It With Flowers, had also received a First Place Ribbon.  Whew!  How much can one heart stand?  Well, I managed--and floated on air the rest of the evening.
The only "downer" for me was that I wasn't able to go to the show this year (which I usually do every year).  We have a family medical issue this year so it just wasn't possible but last night, my friend Janice called me and said that she was standing in front of a beautiful quilt that had a Best of Show ribbon on it and that she was telling everyone there that she knew the quilter who made it.  I tell you, it was almost as good as actually being there!  And so thoughtful of her.
Both of these quilts are my original designs.  So often, people ask me if I draw out the entire design and then start working on it.  I wish that I could say that I was that organized or insightful.  But the truth is that I'm never quite sure where it's going to end up when I begin.  I change placement, colors and designs, take off parts, add others, pick out inches and inches of close quilting.  I just keep at it until it tells me it's done--and hope I'm hearing the right message.  Sometmes, it works like I had hoped it would and sometimes I learn a LOT of lessons about what not to do and what to do next time.  It's a great adventure, isn't it?

8 comments:

KK said...

Hi, Judy and big applause and congrat for you awards at Jacksonville! I've been busy and not reading blogs as much and you've been posting! Love the kitties you and Pam made and thanks for sharing your trip to Seneca - we've got some talented art quilters in the Upstate.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Karen. Yes, it does sound as if you've been busy learning how to use new equipment and entertaining company--plus a million other things! See you soon.

Tamie said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you- you deserve it. I had planned to go to Jacksonville this year but it was not to be for me either. I'm off to the mountains within the hour. I hope to bring some of the cool weather back. Have a good weekend.

Judy Heyward said...

Yes, please do bring it back. Thanks!

Robin in WNC said...

Congratulations Judy, Best of Show and First Place, wow. Both quilts are great pieces. Looking forward to seeing you next weekend at QSC.

Joyce said...

Please add my congratulations also Judy. These quilts are deserving of many awards. Great job.

Corky said...

I am so proud that I know such a talented quilter. I would have been just like Janice and would have stood there saying "that's my friend's quilt!"

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks to all of you for being so generous in your good remarks. I really appreciate them.