Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Trunk Show

Last night, I had the pleasure of presenting my trunk show to the Foothills Piecemakers Quilting Guild in Taylors, SC.  Let me tell you, they were a enthusiastic group of women (and one man).  Like most guilds, they had their business meeting first, along with their Show and Tell--and then refreshments.  I really liked two features of their meeting.  The first was a two minute segment devoted to demonstrating a technique--a monthly feature.  Last night's was about the proper way to press seams when you're piecing a quilt.  I know that must seem elementary to most of you, but guilds are composed of people on all different levels and this is one quick way to help each other learn.  The other thing I really liked was when the person in charge of the library gave a short talk on one of the new books that were available for checking out.  As he talked about the book, he really made it interesting and I'm sure that there will now be people WAITING their turn to read it.

And these quilters were a great audience.  They asked lots of questions and spent a lot of time looking closely at my quilts.  All in all, it was a great evening.
And this is a quilt that I recently finished--Jacobean Memories.  It is a needleturned applique quilt from the book Red and Green: An Applique Tradition by Jeana Kimball.  I designed one of the blocks myself and had a 2-toned background.  I actually finished the top of the quilt 2 years ago and pinned it to quilt; however, it sat in a drawer for two years--a drawer that I would pull open every so often and THINK about finishing it but, well . . . .you know.  But here it is--at last--out of the drawer.  I think I can hear it catching its breath. 

3 comments:

Corky said...

This photo doesn't do the quilt justice. Like all of your quilts it's a beauty.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Corky.

KK said...

Did you travel to Taylors alone? You know some of the TTT gang would be glad to accompany you (we could be your groupies!!) and hold your quilts up. Your very own entourage. OK - Judy is now blushing madly and shaking her head about me. But seriously - if you ever need a traveling companion give a shout out!