Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, October 4, 2010

Teaching at White Oak

This past weekend, I taught my Snow Family class at White Oak Retreat Center near Winnsboro, South Carolina.  The weather was so absolutely gorgeous that, at times, it was hard to stay indoors--but we managed to do just that.  I had a wonderful group of students and, for the first time ever, had a husband-wife team.  This is William with his Snow Family.  He got the furtherest with part of his checkerboard border done.  He turned out to be the hit of the entire retreat as he showed his VERY outgoing personality during the evening gatherings.  He told us that he had been an executive chef in Europe, performing on television in shows much like those on our Cooking Channel.  Well, he certainly wasn't shy.



Here are a few other wallhangings as they got ready to go home to,hopefully, be completed by this Christmas (at least I'M hoping).  Mary, in the hat, is a veteran quilt teacher--much loved by her students.  She has successfully battled cancer this year and this was her first major outing since her treatment.  Each quilter did a great job and were enthusiastic about learning new applique techniques.
It was also my birthday this past Saturday and it was a blast to be there with so many of my friends.  Late in the afternoon, I looked up and saw a huge group of people at the doorway of my classroom--my Charleston friends-- holding a birthday cake--a HUGE surprise I can assure you.  And as the word got around, everyone I saw wished me Happy Birthday.  And, just as I thought the danger was past ( am VERY shy), the entire group sang to me that evening.  Whew . . .there's no way that can be topped next year.  I felt so blessed.  And I don't want to forget to mention that my husband called me up first thing and also sang to me--as I disolved into a puddle of tears.  He sings eveny year and I just thought it wouldn't happen this year since I was out of town.  Well, he surprised me, too.  But then, he is always full of surprises.


2 comments:

Corky said...

Your class did a great job. Glad we were able to see you on your b-day.

KK said...

Judy - we just wanted you to know how much we love you and how happy we are you are "back in the fold." Yes, we could still have seen you at White Oak if you still lived in Hendersonville but it is so much better to have you in Charleston again.