Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Two Finished Projects

 My last post showed the construction process of this abstract wallhanging that I started in a class with Gloria Loughman.  Well, "started" is somewhat of a loose term because I actually started again from scratch once I got home.  However, the concepts she shared were really great and I came home excited to start again.  I mean, you know how it is--you go to a class thinking you KNOW what it's all about, you have your design in mind (and maybe even have it drawn out)--and then the whole thing is blown away when you find out what REALLY  is going to happen in the class.  I enjoyed the entire process and now I even have another design ready to interpret in fabric--after I finish a couple of other things . . .
 Today at our Art Group, we had our "reveal" in our Zentangle challenge.  It was great.  Our members came up with some really creative zentangles.  Doreen actually made a lampshade with freemotion zentangles, Linda applied her zentangles to a teeshirt, Dotty made two zentangle projects--a beautiful wallhanging and a 3-dimensional piece.  Corky free-motioned zentangles that changed colors as they overlapped--and the list goes on.  They were all so inspiring.  As you can see, I went the 3-dimensional route.  I had seen a picture of an embroidered cat in a catalogue and decided that would work for my project.  I used faux leather and several different kinds of pens.  I also added color.  As I thought through the construction process, I realized I was going to have to insert a zipper because I didn't think that I could sew the opened seam with a hand needle after I finished the stuffing process.  So, I had to draw the outlines for the two back pieces, sew the zipper and THEN draw.  I wanted the cat to be able to stand on it's own, so I figured out how to make a flat bottom and then put a bag of sand in the lower one quarter so it would have stability.  I'll have to say, it was lots of fun and I was glad that it actually turned out the way I had envisioned (well, almost).
Our next challenge is going to be based on a haiku poem--I can hardly wait to see what this talented group of women is going to come up with this time!

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Pretty amazing!!!!
A cat complete with zipper.
Maureen

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Maureen--it was a lot of fun to make and I also had fun figuring out how to do it!