Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Eight Quilts For Your Consideration

There were so many truly spectacular quilts at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show this year that I would be hard-pressed to show all of them.  So I'm just going to show eight of them (the quality of the photographs has a little something to do with it!).  This first one is Sheep Wannabees by Debora Kochinsky.  What doesn't show clearly in this picture is the fact that the animals are made from bits of wool--and are kind of fluffy.  Definitely a novel approach.
 This is Thistles by Mary Ramsey Keasler.  I just think it's so beautiful and really makes the thistles look real.
Calamari Time by Karen Bue Lohrenz.  She captures the feeling of movement and dimension.  And the use of color is so perfect.
 This is The Solace of Persephone.  The flowers are made out of velvet.  It was difficult to refrain from touching it--but the quilt police were definitely in the vicinity.
 Elephant's Trunk Nebula by Ann Harwell.  This reminded me of some of the beautiful pictures that I have seen that were taken of outer space.
 Little Peace in 2 4 D by Martha Hall.  I loved the precision of this piece.  I would never have thought to zig-zag the strips.  How cool.
 Pandora's Box by Barbara Swinea.  This photo doesn't really do this quilt justice.  The base fabric looks as if a light is shining from the center of the back.  Barbara is from Asheville and consistently makes beautiful quilts.
Witches Brew by Cathy Wiggins.  This quilt is so much fun to look at and to read the Witches Brew Recipe that you might forget to notice just how much work went into its construction. 





So, these were some of my favorites at the show.  You probably would have had different favorites--but that's what makes the world go round.  I hope you enjoyed these.

No comments: