Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Hampton

 I just got back from the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show in Hampton, Va,  and what a great time I had there.  I had the wonderful opportunity to spend two days in classes with Gloria Loughman from Australia.  She is so talented and a superb teacher.  The first day was spent working on a landscape and the second day the emphasis was on an abstract design.  The techniques she taught were different from ones that I have used previously so it was really good to learn something new.  I was pretty prepared for each day's class--and then had to throw out everything and start from scratch as I learned what she REALLY wanted us to do each day.  And what a freeing thing that was!  I didn't finish either project so I can't show you what I did, but I do expect to finish one of them quite soon.  Pictured here are some of her quilts and the larger one was displayed in the show--along with several others.



 I was so excited and surprised when I walked into the Show on Wednesday to learn that not only had I won an award for Arabian Mystery, but that it was a First Place!  So many people had such nice comments about my work--I appreciated it so much.  I felt honored because there were so many really wonderful quilts there ( of which I'll post a few in my next post).
 We had some extra time while we were there and decided to go over to Norfolk to The Fabric Hut.  While we were getting directions from the Tourism Representative, I asked her if we had to go through a tunnel--to which she said. "Yes."  Well, one of our party didn't even know about tunnels under bodies of water--much less having actually gone through one!  She was a good sport though and we made it through without incident (No leaks were observed).  I think this was a pretty cool picture of our movement through the tunnel.
 Another friend was pleased to see the naval ships across the river as we went.  The Norfolk area, is, of course, an area with a lot of naval activity with a lot of service personnel.  And there is a great deal more water than there is in the Charleston area.
When we got to Norfolk, we went to the Fabric Hut and it was great--sort of like a smaller Mary Jo's.  Lots of silks, satins--you name it--and oodles of quilting fabric.  And look at this picture.  Do you remember when they used to measure fabric through machines like this?  I am going to have to admit that, in spite of all that we had already purchased at the quilt show, we simply couldn't resist the abundance of great choices in this store.  And the good thing was that they had not raised ALL of their prices on older fabrics they way they did in a shop we visited on the way home today.
 Sunday, we spent some time riding around Jamestown and Williamsburg and happened upon a series of these bridges along a meandering road by the James River.  There were many pull-offs where people were relaxing and fishing and just having a good time on a Sunday afternoon.
And, of course, I had to take a picture of a land tunnel to go along with the water tunnel.

So, a great time was had by all.  Finally, I had a very special moment while I was at the show.  I noticed a woman in my class on Friday and the longer I looked at her, the more convinced I was that I knew her from high school (more than forty-five years ago!).   I wasn't sure though so I decided that if I saw her the next day, I was going to have to ask.  Well, I saw her and I asked.  And she was.  We had a great time catching up--well, catching up a LITTLE--and I felt greatly blessed by this totally unexpected moment in time.  (Good seeing you, Gus.  Don't be a stranger).

3 comments:

Corky said...

HOw in the world did you have the energy to post after getting home on Monday?!

Love the tunnel photos. Hummm...some ideas running though my mind.

Judy Heyward said...

I don't know--I just kept on moving forward.

Robin in WNC said...

Judy,
Congratulations on another well deserved blue ribbon.
I am presently working on a piece based on Gloria's book. I am using her techniques and am struggling a bit, but pressing on. I hope to have it done by October for the Foothills Show.
Robin