Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Not Just One Block

 While I was in Murrells Inlet this past Fall, I bought a beautiful piece of fabric with Purple and Green Floral Tones.  When I showed it to my friend Corky, she said that it would make a great fabric for a One-Block Wonder Quilt.  I, of course, asked, "What's that?"  Well, you can see from the picture, it is a pretty busy quilt made with hexagonal blocks.  You have to measure how often the design repeats and buy enough fabric that you'll have 6 repeats.  Since my fabric had a 24" repeat, I had to go back to the store and get more.
 This is the fabric that I had chosen.

 And you can see from these sample blocks the very different effect you can get from each block.  Corky and Dotty came over for a day of sewing these blocks and we spent quite a bit of time oohing and aahing over each other's results.  If you're wondering about the pins in the blocks, you don't sew the two halves together until you sew the rows together for ease of construction.  (After all, it IS a little easier to sew a straight line than it is to sew a "Y" seam).



 After I had sewn all my patterned hexagons, I decided to add cubes to add a dimensional element to the quilt.  The first one took an hour to sew (due to a poor choice in a ruler and trying to "make" the cube fit), but after that they just buzzed along.  I then started playing with the placement on the design wall.

A closeup of the cube.
 And then the finished layout.  I was aiming at the light coming downward from the upper left to the lower right.
And here is my finished quilt.  I don't have a sleeve on it yet, so the photo isn't the best in the world.  In my quilting, I decided to try using metallic thread on the main body of the quilt.  I used a Superior Metallic  Thread, a 90 Top Stitch Needle and Superior Bottom Line thread in the bobbin with a tension setting of .5.  Over all, I was very pleased with the result.  And, on top of that, it was a lot of fun.  What more could I want?

4 comments:

Vicki said...

beautiful. I signed up for the class at retreat, but might not be able to wait.

Corky said...

I STILL can't believe that you got all those blocks sewn together and then quilted the enitre thing in a just a couple of days! It's wonderful and it was fun wasn't it?

KK said...

Stunning! It must be the year for gorgeous clematis, too - mine are just unbelievable and I just put pics on my blog of them - then visited your and what do I see? Beautiful clematis.

Judy Heyward said...

I've never grown a clematis in the lowcountry, Karen. I brought this one from the mountains with minimal expectation for success--but, boy, was I surprised!