Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sacred Threads

Several months ago, I applied to have my Imagine quilt included in the Sacred Threads exhibit in Herndon, Virginia (outside Washington, D.C.) this June. http://www.sacredthreadsquilts.com/
This quilt was inspired by John Lennon's song Imagine and is about people putting aside their prejudices, territories and symbols of "rightness" to live in a world of peace and love.  I have loved this song from the first moment I heard it and knew immediately how I wanted to interpret it in fabric and thread.
The application to Sacred Threads states the following:
Sacred Threads is an exhibition of quilts exploring themes of spirituality, joy, inspiration, peace/brotherhood, grief and healing. This biennial exhibition was established to provide a safe venue for quilters who see their work as a connection to the sacred and/or as an expression of their spiritual journey.

The objective is to create a dignified exhibition of artwork that touches on both spiritual and personal levels all those who view it. We want to share with others the experiences of quilters whose stories may be a source of healing and strength.
I knew as soon as I finished this work that I wanted it to be in the exhibition.  It was sort of a "kismet" feeling as Herndon, Virginia was the town I grew up in and even as a young person I felt a need to search out avenues of spirituality and to seek answers to the unanswerable.  I am, of course, still seeking and that is how Imagine came to be.  The acceptance email I received this morning (how appropriate for it to arrive on Easter morning!) said that there were far more applications this year than ever before so I guess the seeking continues as we try to make sense of our chaotic world.   I am looking forward to being in Herndon the last part of June and experiencing the entire show.  I know that it is going to be powerful.

8 comments:

Tamie said...

Happy Easter and congratulations. I really enjoyed your presentation the other night.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Tamie. It was a lot of fun. And thanks for your hard work as Treasurer/

Marilyn Wall said...

Judy, this is a powerful piece, as usual you have done a wonderful job. I can't imagine (no pun intended) how you made all those little people. What size is the piece?

Jennifer said...

Well done! It is a great piece.

Judy Heyward said...

The quilt is 41 x 47", Marilyn and the little people are 2 1/4" high. No need to "imagine"--I made them one at a time! Thanks for the remarks.

Corky said...

Congrats again Judy. Your quilt will be a valuable addition to the exhibit.

Maureen said...

Congrats Judy, It is a wonderful piece and I also love that song.
If only it could be!!!!
Maureen

Judy Heyward said...

You're right about that, Maureen--if only . . .