Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

It's Gettin' To Be A Pretty Long Journey

It seems as if I've been working on this quilt for years!  Well, at least months--and months (which I have).  And now I'm getting down to the final stretch.  My last hurdle has been how to transfer my feather drawing to the black border.  The usual way I would do this would be to use a light box and trace it with a pencil (light or dark depending on the fabric).  However, that wouldn't work in this case as the drawing wouldn't show up through the black fabric.  The other issue was that I couldn't mark the border ahead of time because the markings would have been rubbed off by the time I got to them.
 So, what to do?  I had used this Saral transfer paper in a class I took and thought it might work well in this case.
 This is the pattern I drew (which no longer has the little circles).
 More of a close up.  In order to transfer the pattern to the cloth, I could do only one fourth of the border, quilt it and then move on to the next section, repeating the process.  The process was this:  I carefully folded the batting and backing back under the body of the quilt and smoothed out the black border fabric. (I'm very fortunate to have a large table where I could do this fairly easily.)  I then started with the transfer paper under the pattern--but on top of the black fabric.  Using a ball point pen, I traced.
This is what that looked like.  I only traced the bare essentials.
 And this is the design quilted.  It was a somewhat messy process and the pattern was hard to hold in place--but it worked and was the only solution I could come up with at the time.
And this is the border after I've added the stippling stitching in the background.

So . . .I'm getting close.  The journey's been fun but I'm sort of ready to get into the station.

2 comments:

Corky said...

Wow, wow, wow, this is going to be a spectacular quilt. I'm so glad that I've been able to watch it progress.

Tamie said...

Judy- this is stunning. I love it when you show progress photos and I am able to witness a piece of the journey.