Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Fast Friday Challenge 2--Notan

 The thing that I LOVE about challenges is that they take you places you wouldn't have gone on your own.  This month's challenge is an example of that.  Notan is a Japanese concept that uses the contrast of black and white to demonstrate positive and negative spaces.
I had heavy weight  12 x 12" black paper and drew a freehand design in a light colored pencil.  I then carefully cut along the lines and reassembled the pieces into their original positions on a piece of white posterboard.
I then flipped each cut piece onto the white poster board and--voila--a work of art!  I am told that this can be as addictive as making zentangles but I'm going to try to restrain myself.  I am going to use this design to make a wall quilt but am not sure if I will use black and white or two other highly contrasting colors.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Very interesting! Looking forward to seeing what the quilt design will be.

Corky said...

I'm late in catching up with blogs and just read this entry. I love the design. Your phrase "as addicting as zentangles" disturbs me since I found the zentangles so stressful!! LOL

Miss you!