Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fast Friday Challenge

 Recently, I joined an internet art group named Fast Friday Challenge. The idea is that on the last Friday of the month a challenge will be issued and a quilt should be made within a week.
One of the objects of this is to free your mind of all of the "what ifs" and JUST DO IT.  This challenge was based on 35 master paintings.  Each of us was free to choose the painting we wanted and use the color palette from it in a quilt.  I chose James Tissot's Croquet as my inspiration and I almost immediately thought of the little leaf drawing I had done several years ago.  (And that's the beauty of doing drawings and collecting pictures and putting them in a place where you can find them later).  So, I took this drawing and enlarged it to the size I wanted and then decided on the rest of the layout for the quilt.

 As you can see, I choose a circle for the center and went out from there.  Since I had a fairly limted color palette, it was challenging to decide on the placement of the colors.  I have named my piece Strolling Through The Garden.  When I had to come up with a name for it I felt that there was a certain feeling of pathways so,thus, the name.
When I got to the quilting stage, I decided that it was a good opportunity to try something a little different from what I usually do so on the outside border I used circles but finished off with curved lines.  You can double click this picture for a better view and the last picture is a closeup.
All in all, I really enjoyed this challenge.  I ended up with a wallhanging that I really like--one that I never would have made otherwise.
Hmm . . .I wonder what's coming on the next one?

No comments: