Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Promises, Promises

 For the past few Christmases, my husband and I have agreed not to give each other presents for Christmas.  Like so many people today, we really have everything we need--so why buy something we don't need or particularly want?
(One thing I do--also for the past several years is to pick up and carry around merchandise that I THINK I want and see if I "bond" with it.  And so many times, I put it back.  Just yesterday in Joann's, I was trying very hard to use three 50% off coupons and ended up leaving with nothing--after carrying a couple of things around with me while I shopped).
ANYWAY, on Christmas morning there were 3 packages under the tree that didn't belong there.
My husband had broken the rules! O.K. O.K--let's just see what's in them . . .The first one was from the dog and had a new pair of gardening gloves--heavy duty for pulling more ivy up come springtime.  Very useful and much appreciated.  The 2nd package had a memory card.  So now I'm thinking:  How did he figure out what kind of card I use in my camera? (and the sad thing was that I didn't realize that it was the wrong card for my point and shooter.  Shows you how much I know about my own stuff!).
Even when I started opening the biggest box I had NO idea what was in it (How naive can one be?)
I was absolutely floored to find this beautiful camera--and overwhelmed--another learning curve to traverse.  I've looked at the 35 millimeter cameras for a long time as I walked through various stores, but I sure didn't pick one up and carry it around to see if I bonded with it.  I was  mad that he broke the rules and VERY overwhelmed with the camera itself but, but, but . . .I LOVE IT.  I use a camera a lot as I consider ideas for quilts and it has taken me no time at all to bond with it, after the fact.  Look at the close up photo of one of my quilts.  Way better than I could have done with my point and shoot.
So .  . . my husband definitely broke the rules this year, but he knew my heart better than I did.  Can one ask for a greater blessing?

2 comments:

Robin in WNC said...

Rules are meant to be broken.
Have fun learning to use the new camera.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks Robin. I'm having fun so far!