Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Queen City

We drove up to Charlotte yesterday to see their annual Quilt Show. We didn't get there in time to see it without rushing, so we did the next best thing--went to Mary Jo's. The entire shopping center there is being remodeled--with most of the stores closed. BUT Mary Jo's was still up and running although the entrance was altered. I managed to buy 9 batik pieces in 30 minutes so I was a happy camper. And it was still early enough that we could go to The Cheesecake Factory before the crowd got there! What more could one ask for?
This morning, we headed out pretty early, having typed the address of the quilt show into our navigation system (even my husband now LOVES it). Unfortunately, the navigation system didn't know that there was some kind of charity run and every street we tried was blocked by the police. Oh well--we finally just stopped and waited with everyone else for an hour.
We did ultimately get to the show and here are a few of the quilts:




This was the Best of Show. I had seen this quilt at the Asheville Quilt Show last year and liked it there. The quilting is good and the colors are good.




This was my husband's favorite. He liked the geometry of the circle.







I don't know the name of this pattern, but I liked the colors (It looked better in person). There was another one there with the same pattern and there were four or five of them at the Asheville Show last year. So I guess it's popular.




And the interesting thing about this quilt was all of the machine embroidery. I think it was from a Jenny Haskins pattern. It was really hard to get a full view of some of these quilts because the space was tight and you couldn't get far enough. Anyway, it was nicely done.




This was the winner in one of the small quilt categories. It is a rendition of their mountain house. It looked pretty nice. And my husband does, too.


And, finally, this was a small quilt that I liked. The quilting was nice and the colors were happy.

The Charlotte Show is a fairly small show. I don't know how big the Guild is or how popular quilting is in Charlotte. Maybe someone who reads this could let us know the story behind the story.

All in all, it was a nice little getaway. I am so blessed to have a husband who likes to look at quilts and who waits patiently while I shop. What a hero.

2 comments:

Corky said...

I enjoyed your tour through the quilt show. That geometric quilt that Smokey liked is one I'm considering making. I have the paper piecing pattern but there are always other things I have to do first.

Judy Heyward said...

You have more patience than I do, Corky. I can't imagine paper piecing something that large--or even 1/3 that large!