Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Life's Unexpected Turns

I don't have any picture's for tonight's post. I had hoped to, but it turned out there wasn't anything worth photographing--sadly. We went to Hendersonville yesterday and came back this morning. We mainly went to turn in our cable boxes and bring home a few other sewing items. Since we just aren't there enough to warrant paying for services we're not using, it made sense to do that. We all are trying to conserve in one way or another right now and this is just one of those steps.
One of the things we brought home was my EQ6 software. Tuesday night, my computer crashed with, as it turned out, a fatal heart attack. I literally lost everything on it. I spent several hours with a computer guru on Wednesday and he did everything he could to retreive the data, but it was a no-go. And here is a little tip that I picked up from that experience--other than you should back up everything important. When you get a screen that tells you that there is an error reading the disk and to hit Ctl-Alt-Delete, DON"T TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER--unless, of course, you know what you're doing. I learned that the more times you turn off and on your computer in an effort to make it work as you try different things, the greater the chance is that you will not be able to retreive data from a damaged hard drive. Needless to say, I turned it on and off too many times.
So . . .with a new hard drive, I have had to reload as many programs as I could. The nice thing is that all but one of them have reloaded without a problem. I was really crossing my fingers over Microsoft Office because you can be sure that it would not be a picnic to have to call them in order to get it authenticated.
Fortunately, I had most of my quilts saved onto disk and some of my patterns. Things could have been much worse, I guess. The computer guru told me that I was taking it far better than most people but what are you going to do? You have only yourself to blame if you don't have things backed up properly. Karen Kendo has given me the name of a good back-up system and I will be getting that for my future work.
What I HAD planned on taking a picture of today was the fruit stand where we stop to buy peaches every year. We were expecting the peaches to look good since they didn't get hit by a frost this year; however, the weather in the upstate of South Carolina has been so dry that things just are not looking very good. The peaches were about 1/2 size. We only bought a small bag and I didn't have the heart to take a picture. Hopefully, the later peaches will be better--the farmers sure need a break.

5 comments:

KK said...

I've been getting peaches from Eutawville and they've been very good.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Karen.

Maureen said...

Your computer post has definitely made me decide to listen to husband Bob about backing up files. I will definitely be taking him up on his offer of help--I'm always saying later---later.

Corky said...

I went through the blue screen of death myself last year. It's just a pain! Luckily my computer guru (aka Jerry) was able to retrieve almost everything. It pays to be married to a guy with a degree in Computer Science!

Judy Heyward said...

Good, Maureen. Hopefully, we can all benefit from this. And, yes, Corky, it does help to have your own personal guru who will stop you before you do anything disastrous. Unfortunately, in this household, I'M the knowledgable--and look where it got me!