Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, June 30, 2008

The Great, the Not So Great and the Improvement

Since I am still experiencing some computer difficulties (for which I will once again visit my computer guru early tomorrow morning--and, of course, he has never heard of the problem I'm having), I have had to email my pictures to post on our other computer. When I sat down at the other computer to open the email, there was one from Karen Kendo--which I opened first. And what a great and wonderful surprise. She emailed me a picture of her Palmetto quilt in progress and I was so excited I could hardly stand it. She took a major step outside of her "follow the pattern" box and the results are wonderful. I'm not going to post the picture because that's her's to do, but watch out! It's going to be great.
And now to my originally intended post. About a year ago I took the following picture of a hydrangea in my yard. The other evening, I came up with an idea on how to use it so I saved it in black & white and printed it out as a 16 page poster. After gluing the pieces together, I outlined the entire picture with a magic marker to use as my patern. Then I made a pieced background from soft-colored batiks. I really liked the background ,but when I put a few of the hydrangea pieces on top, it looked REALLY bad. I keep trying to make pieced

backgrounds for things and almost always
end up discarding them. So this is
now my
background--after some color consultsation with my resident color expert (my

husband). It's a final choice for now, but I'll fuse the entire hydrangea before I make the final decision.





In the mean time, I have also taken my husband's recommendation that I take the original 3' x3' background and turn it into a baby quilt. And here are the two fabrics I've chosen for the borders. So, maybe I'm killing two birds with one stone? Well, at least I'll look at it that way/

Note: Check out Karen's blog to view her Palmetto Quilt. It's awesome! http://quiltingwithkaren.wordpress.com/


4 comments:

Corky said...

Judy, I saw Karen's top at Ducks today and you're right it's going to be fabulous. She's obviously enjoying working outside her box.

I love your soft pieced background that is turning out to be a baby quilt. Sorry it didn't work the way you originally intended. Hope you'll post photos of the hydrangea as it progresses.

Judy Heyward said...

Quilts hardly ever turn out the way I intended them in the beginning, Corky; however, I'm usually happier in the long run. I DO need to figure out those pieced backgrounds though. I'll post my progress---unless it turns into a "no-go"!
And I can't tell you how excited I am for Karen. What a feeling.

KK said...

Well, I'm blushing all over but also bursting. I am very pleased with my Carolina quilt top and even more pleased that others find it so great. Yes, I love praise and encouragement.

Judy - did you put any green down with your purple hydrangea fabrics when you were auditioning using the pieced background?

Judy Heyward said...

No I didn't, Karen. And that's a good suggestion. I just felt that the whole thing looked tackey but it's certainly worth adding that green and seeing if I feel any different. Thanks.