Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Week of Learning Curves

Did you ever feel as if you were learning more than you really wanted to? I KNOW that they say that you need to keep your brain active to help offset the onset of dementia, but sometimes I feel that there are too many oppotunities to do that. Ever since my hard drive crashed, I have been encountering things on my computer that are challenges--and it still isn't back to where it was when it went kerplop.
I really enjoy listening the books from Audible.com. They are great for downloading to the IPod to take in the car on trips or for listening in my studio when the books I got from the library turn out to be duds. Well, it hasn't worked since the crash. Finally, this week I got on the phone with the techie from Audible and he tried for over a half hour to make it work. The bottom line was that there was something about the Firefox internet on my computer was just didn't interface with it (which also happened with a couple of other things). So, he searched for Internet Explorer on my computer (which was hidden), reactivated it and, voila, I now have my Audible. I am a happy camper. If you want to experience wierd, however, during that process I had to give the techie permission to go into my computer and try to find the problem. So, here I was sitting in front of my computer and someone miles away was using HIS mouse to sift through MY files. It kind of gave me the willies.
Another learning curve this week was signing up for a FedEx account on the computer so I could ship my quilts for less money. When I was working on our quilt show and had to ship the quilts back to their owners afterwards, I learned that one quilt box would have cost $60.00 to ship at the store and only $30.00 to do the work at home. Big difference. Of course, it has taken me four months to actually sign up. I figure that by the time I use it three times, it will have paid for the scale to weigh the packages at home. Pretty good.
Well, I'll be out for a week. Going to Hendersonville for a play and then on to Nashville for the AQS show. I'll bring back pictures. Stay cool.

No comments: