Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, August 4, 2008

It Really IS Cooler In The Mountains!


We left Saturday morning to go the Asheville Quilt Show. On the way, we stopped in Columbia to see our grandson's first competition tennis match. He was nervous, of course, and at 13 still has a lot to learn about moving around the court and all those other things that make one a winner against a strong opponent. (I guess you can figure where I'm going with this). Yes, he lost but I can tell that he has what it takes to be an above average player. He was very upset that he lost and didn't want to go on with his other match that day. My son walked him down the sidewalk and had a private moment with him to calm him down and encourage him. I captured that moment with my camera and I think it is one of the dearest pictures of them that I have ever seen. Some of our greatest accomplishments are born out of failure and I have no doubt that that will be true for him.
And then we traveled on up to Hendersonville. Our yard hadn't been weeded all summer, so that was my main task of the afternoon. And I also went to My Quilt Shop to finish up using a credit I had there (I CERTAINLY wouldn't want to waste it!) The next afternoon, we went to the quilt show. Since I was going to bring my quilts home rather than have them mailed, I had to stay to the end and, so, I had plenty of time to look at all of the quilts several times. This is really a very good quality show and the members if the Guild work very hard to put it on each year. I was very excited to win a first and second place. I won't post the pictures because they are posted on my website, www.judithheyward.com. They are Lowcountry Musings (1st) and Magical Thinking (2nd). But I WILL post several of the quilts that I liked.
The first one is by Diana Pickens from the upstate. She has been working with stripes for the past year or so and this is one of her efforts. She has a very analytical mind and is very good at rearranging objects to form a different object.
This next quilt uses the same technique that I used in my Althea's Waltz quilt--only better. And the quilting was great on it, too. This quilt of the fish was handpainted (I think) and really captured the movement of the fish jumping out of the water. It won a special award (which I don't remember). The angle on the photo is a little strange because it was hung so high up.
Each year, the Arboretum (where the quilt show is held) gives a special award for the quilt that best expresses the feeling of nature and this is the quilt that won it this year. There is a lot of broderie-purse around the bottom using fabrics that include animals and other elements of nature and many of the leaves were 3-dimensional. And this was all put against a log cabin background. It was very well done.
This next pictorial quilt was really amazing with all of the piecing (which I guess was foundation piecing). It really captured the moment . You got the sense of a hot summer afternoon and maybe the old man was telling the young girl a story while they sat.
And,finally, this last quilt was done by Nancy Prince, a well known, award-winning quilter who makes quilts with intricate scenes (and the ones that I've seen all are somewhat nostalgic). The quilting on this was quite extensive.
All in all, it was a great show and I really enjoyed seeing some of the Asheville quilters I know and also a lot of quilters from the upstate. The Arboretum is such a beautiful setting for the show and really adds another element to the experience. I can hardly wait for next year's!

7 comments:

Jeanne said...

HEY JUDY,

Seems you had a great weekend. Wow what great quilts and congratulations on your 1st and 2nd place ribbons. I especially like that last pictorial quilt. Was that all applique or was some of it painted? The detail is so incredible. I tink I might to go to that show next year it looks like it was a very good show. Jeanne

Carolinian in Texas said...

Wow Judy, great pictures of the quilt show. I saw Nancy Prince's quilt at a couple shows here in Texas. Isn't it phenomenal? Also...great pic of your son and grandson. What a precious memory.

Corky said...

I love the photo of your son and grandson!

Congratulations on your ribbons, as always well deserved. Thanks for posting photos from the show. I love visiting quilt shows through someone else's eyes.

Judy Heyward said...

I'm not sure, Jeanne whether or not there's any painting on the quilt. I would encourage you to go next year--it's not that far away and it's such a nice show.
Nice to hear from you Carolinian in Texas (I don't know your real name). Nancy Prince does do some very detailed work and always great to look at.
And I'm glad that both Corky and you liked the picture of my son and grandson. It's one I will keep forever.
And yes, Corky, I like to see quilt shows through other people's photos, also. The picture of the quilt that was my favorite didn't turn out good enough to publish--so I was disppointed with that--but there were some really nice quilts there.

Judy Heyward said...

I can't believe that the comments I made to all three of you simply disappeared from my blog! There must be a word munchkin somewhere gobbling up words. Oh well, once again thanks to all of you for your very kind remarks. I really enjoy hearing what people have to say in response to what I write.

KK said...

Judy - congrats on your ribbons and thanks for sharing some great pictures of some wonderful quilts. Did you bring any of that COOL back here with you?

KK said...

Hey, Judy! Your comment reappeared and mine disappeared so I'll try again. Congrats on the ribbons and thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures. Glad you got to get away to someplace cooler for a few days - wish you had brought some of that cool back to the Lowcountry with you.