Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Positive Discovery

Yesterday, I was sewing along on my woven quilt and needed to push the button that enables the securing stitch. Well, I pushed that button--I thought--and continued sewing only to hear a very loud groan coming from my Bernina 200. I, of course, stopped immediately; however, it was too late. I had pushed a button that made a Wide zig-zag and I had a foot attached that wouldn't accomodate that. Long story short--I messed up my machine.
I had heard good things about the Bernina store--Accent Sewing--in Murrell's Inlet--which is about 68 miles from my house. Yes, we have a store here, but one doesn't always want to go somewhere just because it's closer. Anyway, we went up there this morning, were greeted as we came in the door, immediately saw the owner/mechanic, had the problem diagnosed and were told that it would be ready on Monday. And the price he quoted wasn't bad either. The shop had a really nice air about it. There was a class going on and everyone, obviously, was having a great time. I am pretty sure that I have found my "home" store! What a delight to feel that good about a Bernina store and if I buy another machine, it will be there. They also sell Baby Lock and I was able to get some new bobbins for my Quilter's Choice. So I call it a really positive day.
On another note: This spring I planted 3 tomato plants in pots near our sea wall (you can see a little of the wall at the right of the picture). I didn't know how they would do that close to salt water and, at first they looked REALLY bad with deformed leaves. Well, they picked up after about a month and have grown beyond my expectations. But, at that point I didn't want to go out and buy supports for them and my husband hasn't been able to make me the support cages he used to because he is supposed to stay out of the heat until his heart heals a little better. So, I started rounding up bits and pieces in the yard to do the job. My latest addition is a Charleston Bench that I picked up along the side of the road. The framework is good but the slats are in poor shape so it would do as a tomato trellis for now and then, hopefully, we'll make new slats for it this winter and have another bench for the yard. And there are LOTS of tomatoes growing on the plants. Since this part of the yard is where we have a lot of sun, next year I am going to try more vegetables there and see how they tolerate the salt air. It's worth a try anyway.

5 comments:

KK said...

I would never had thought tomatoes would grow that close to the salt. Hmmm.. ours have done so well this year but our beginning to wind down. I decided I didn't have the time or desire to do any canning or freezing so I gave all my extras away. Made for some very happy quilting buddies.

Judy Heyward said...

I'm glad your crop was so successful, Karen. I, too, used to can many, many tomatoes--but not since I've been back in Charleston. This is actually the first year I've had any worth mentioning.

Jeanne said...

Sorry to hear your machine messed up too bad it just didnt break a needle, but it did turn out well with you finding a new home to bring your baby with lots of tlc. I have had the same experience when my grandson pushed a button while I was sewing and changed the stitch. I was fortunate to only replace the needle that time. Jp

Corky said...

I haven't been to Accent Sewing yet, but keep meaning to make a trip up there. It's nice to know there is a good place to take my 170 when it needs service.

Love your tomato trellis solution. I'm trying to picture you on the side of the road rescuing the bench!

Judy Heyward said...

Then I guess you would have had an greater problem visualizing me looking in dumpsters for styrfoam pellets for shipping when I was a potter. It was an interesting experience.