Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Scents and Sense


For those of you who remember my quilt, Ladies of the Night, its inspiration plant is now in full bloom. I bought this plant last year at the Biltmore House and brought it back to Charleston in the fall. This picture was taken at night because I was so enveloped by its scent as I came back from my evening walk that I actually stopped and took a good look at the number of blooms. Time for the camera. It smells kind of like a gardenia, only more subtle and only at night--which makes it more unique. I lay on my back to take this picture of the single bloom. I bought a different variety here in Charleston and, although the plant is very large, nary a bloom has yet to appear.
Others of you may remember that my hard drive crashed a few weeks ago. That meant that, although I have hard copies of my patterns, I will have to retype all of them (andTHIS time, save them to a disk). It also means that I will have to redraw all of the graphics. Previously, I was using the drawing portion of Microsoft Word--which was somewhat cumbersome; so I decided--after reading some blogs etc, from other quilters--that this time I would use Corel Draw. Well, my rebate check arrived and part of it went right out the door to Amazon.com for the software. And NOW, enters the learning curve . . . I consider myself fairly literate with this type of thing, but it's defintely going to take more than a day or two to learn how to do all that I want. Things don't EXACTLY work like the book indicates they should or the book leaves out a somewhat critical step, but I'll get there. I did make this checkboard drawing this morning and it was about 15 times faster and easier than doing it in Word--so I'm hopeful. I'm thinking that I might try to find Corel Draw For Dummies though.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

hi judy
glad to see you are still challenging yourself with new software. I know you can figure it out. Well I have the first few posts up. Not very fancy, but I have some good pictures you will enjoy of the retreat http://jeannepedersen.blogspot.com

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Jeanne. I always seem to put myself in the path of a challenge! Isn't it nice to know that it's exercising our brains and protecting them against deterioation?