Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Weaving


I've made several projects using various weaving techniques--split oak baskets, placemats, clay vessels--and even some quilting projects. So, when I saw Simply Stunning Woven Quilts by Anna Faustino, I bought the book to see what she had to offer. Well, it's a book full of interesting methods of weaving. And her more complicated quilts are stunning.
Since I have had to stop on my present quilting project due to the need to order thread for the quilting (which I did), I decided to try one of her more simple projects. This one uses two large log cabin blocks with fabrics that go from light to dark. My first choice of colors were black and purple. I made the blocks and decided that I didn't really like that combination. So, I decided to try red and was pleased with the result.
I then fused Wonder Under to the backs of each piece, made the necessary markings, cut the wavy lines and began to weave. When you're using log cabin blocks as your background, you have to be fairly precise in your placement of the pieces or you'll lose the effect. And here is my finished woven piece. I still need to figure out if I want to use borders or add elements, but it was a lot of fun to do. As far as the directions in the book are concerned, they were pretty clear although I did change a couple of ways of doing things. I think this would make a good class to teach, but it requires a good bit of working room. It reminded my of when I used to cut my grandmother's pampas grass fronds and weave placements from them-- which resulted in a lot of cuts on my hands but much enjoyment. (and my grandmother even used them that day at breakfast). And probably, most of you made something like this from construction paper in elementary school.

4 comments:

Corky said...

I recently bought that book but haven't tried it out yet. Your results inspired me to work on it. YOur piece looks really cool.

Judy Heyward said...

I was thinking about YOUR weaving when I was working on it, Corky.

KK said...

I thought of Corky's weaving, too. And I just looked at that book on SewThankful.com.

Judy - make a gold/yellow log cabin and weave it with the purple one!

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Karen. I'll do that.