Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, July 21, 2008

A Turtle of a Thing


About seven years ago, I bought this book,Red and Green: An Applique Tradition by Jeana Kimball. I was interested in the idea of using two main colors in a. needleturned appliqued quilt and liked the patterns in this book. I actually started on it about three years ago. and, just recently, I finished the large center block. The idea of doing this quilt was that I would work on it while I was watching t.v. or riding in the car. However, my work came to a screeching halt about a year ago when I realized that I would not have enough background fabric for the entire quilt. (You'd think that I could have figured that out BEFORE I started, wouldn't you?) So I began searching for something that would go with what I had already done. And I quickly learned that my chosen background was not exactly compatible with most of what was out there (which is not too much of a surprise for an INFJ personality!). Anyway, I FINALLY found something that I could live with and will be using it in the center (which I did) and the corner blocks. I had already done one of the corner blocks on the other fabric, so I carefully removed the applique pieces and will be re-doing that one.
So this is where I am so far. Maybe it won't take me three more years to finish it!
And I've begun quilting my hydrangea quilt and have finished the main flower. Here's a close-up of what I've done with it. With so many interruptions that seem to be in my life right now, the progress isn't fast; however, what's the hurry?

2 comments:

Corky said...

Is there anything quilt related you can't do??? That's going to be a spectacular applique quilt. I hope I can see it close up sometime so I can figure out how you got the spiky look on the blooms in the center block.

Hydrangea looks like it's making great progress too.

Judy Heyward said...

Corky, I'm not sure what you mean by the spikey things, but I'll take that as a compliment! I don't think there's anything quilt-related that YOU can't do.