Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Quilt Top and Valentines

This is the quilt I've been working on when I go to TTT. It's nothing particularly special but has given me an opportunity to work on my precise piecing skills (which I may NEVER attain as I'm a little too casual). Anyway, I finished it this morning and am pleased with the design but not so the color. It was one of those deals where the red fabric was on sale, it looked good next to the blocks and seemed to be a good choice. Well, it looked really good in small amounts BUT when I got the quilt all together it was somewhat of a YUCK moment. And an "Oh Well" moment, too, I guess. The color side of my person wants to take out all of the solid colored squares and start over again, but I think the practical side of my person is going to win this time and hope that the quilting thread helps to make it look better. We'll see. The good part is that I thoroughly enjoyed making it while spending time with the TTT's.
And on a different topic, one of my friends has a valentine's luncheon every year and we exchange valentines. Since we're quilters, we really CAN"T just give each other a card with a couple of pieces of candy in it. We have to MAKE something. I came up with this idea of a redwork embroidery bag with the goodies inside. One little twist on this is the piping around the embroidery. We used our piping foot in Viking Club the other day and so I decided I might as well use it for these bags. I think it gives them a little extra punch. For those of you who might be curious about the font I used with the names, it's PartyTime by Monogram Wizard. It's kind of a fun font.
And a Happy Valentine's wish for all of you this week. I like to look on it as a time to consider the importance of friendships and relationships and how important the people in our lives really are. Thanks to each of you who blesses my life with your friendship.

7 comments:

Corky said...

Very cool little Valentine's gifts for your 'other' friends. I think the quilt is beautiful, and that your quilting will enhance it even more.

Jeanne said...

I love the little Valentine bags. The quilt is also very pretty. Maybe you just aren't a red person. I personally love red and think the quilt is fabulous and will only be enhanced with the quilting. Did you embroider the redwork on the bags or was it preprinted. Either way it looks wondeful.

Judy Heyward said...

I AM a red person, Jeanne. Unfortunately, the color leans to the pink side of red.
I embroidered the designs on the fabric--it's a Cactus Punch CD which I've had for quite a while and finally found a use for.

Vicki said...

love the quilt. red and all. from a mom who's 20 yrs old son's bedroom is painted RED sence he was 5 and wont let me change it. LOL

Judy Heyward said...

Your son must have a fiery streak, Vicki! Thanks for the kind words.

KK said...

I think the red is fabulous. And how did you get a blog post by me when I check your blog every day? I must have been sleeping! The bags are adorable.

Judy Heyward said...

Well, I don't know, Karen.I must be sneakier than I realized!