Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Two For One

This has been a busy, busy few days--and I'm still in Virginia.We were going to stay until Monday but are having second thoughts after watching the weather reports. We definitely don't want to be caught in the snow!
I left last Sunday for a few days at Camp St. Christopher to sew with the TTT Gang. In most ways, the sewing was just incidental. We laughed and laughed until we thought our sides would split and it made me think about Norman Cousins. When he was in the hospital years ago--desperately ill and without hope of recovery--he decided to take his health care into his own hands. He had a record player brought in and played recordings of comedians' routines. He laughed and laughed and literally laughed himself back to health. And that is how I felt about our time there. I came home tired--but spiritually refreshed. Here are a few pictures of our setting up and sewing areas. Both Corky and Karen have posted other pictures and you can view them on their blogs: http://fiber-thoughts.blogspot.com/2009/02/back-from-retreat http://quiltingwithkaren.wordpress.com/author
This picture is shortly after we arrived and have figured out how we were going to set up the space. We moved tables around and around so we could get the best use of the room. Karen needed to have the people who were doing "Cracked Pots" near her as she gave a running teaching session throughout our time there. And the quilts are looking wonderful--as will be seen on her blog soon. And here is another area of the room with Joanne and Corky hard at work. They both turned out some beautiful quilts this weekend and I can hardly wait to see them finished and quilted.
And here are the "Cracked Pots" people in action--with the food table in the background to give them enough energy to keep on sewing.
I left St. Christopher on Wednesday evening and left for the Mid Atlantic Quilt Show on Thursday morning. I only had one day at the show--yesterday--so I crammed as much shopping and viewing in as I could-- No rest for weary feet. As usual, there were lots of beautiful quilts--very inspiring. I especially enjoyed looking at the quilting used on some of them. And I was excited to learn that I had won a ribbon also--Best Use of Color--for my Swamp Hibiscus quilt.

And this was the Best of Show Quilt. I don't remember the quilter's name, but you can see it on the Quiltfest website, This is a wholecloth quilt with some amazing quilting. In addition, all of those little bars going from the body of the quilt to the outside border--as well as those in the center part-all I can say is, "Wow!"

A favorite of the judges in many shows is Rachael Wetzler (May be spelled wrong!) She seems to make a lot of quilts that focus on a nostalgic scene of times gone by or a moment in time. This kitchen scene reflects that aspect of her work. It is interesting how she uses different fabrics to express her design. The muffins coming out of oven are a good example.

And if you want to see some really amazing quilting, take a lot at the quilting on this quilt to the right. Again, I don't have the name ,but it will be on the Quiltfest website as a winner. This border began as a piece of black fabric. And look at it now! Through the use of colored thread and detailed quilting, she transformed it into a wonderful piece of art.



My final quilt picture is these tulips that seven people developed from one photo (see photo underneath the quilt) Each quilter interpreted her section of the quilt picture and then they put them all together for the finished quilt. It is really nice.
There were, of course, many, many other beautiful quilts--and LOTS of vendors and lots of happy customers. I didn't come away with my hands empty either. This is really a nice show every year and I'm already looking forward to 2010.

1 comment:

Corky said...

Congratulations again on your win at the show. Well deserved as always. I love the quilts you photographed. Wish I'd been able to see them in person. Have a safe drive home.