Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Asheville Quilt Show 2012

Well, the Asheville Quilt Show has come and gone and what a wonderful weekend it was!  Beautiful quilts--and lots of them.  And, for me, beautiful friends--both here and from out of town.  (more about the out-of-town friends in a later post).
Friday morning, I did a demo on quilting feathers and I had a blast.  If you can see the camera on the tripod in the lower right hand corner of the picture, it was projecting my quilting onto a screen so everyone could see.  This was my first time doing that, and I LOVED it.  The audience was far larger than I expected and it made it a lot easier for everyone to see.
 I'm afraid that I wasn't too good about taking pictures this year.  I guess I was too busy looking and drooling at everyone else's work.  But here is a picture of my quilt, Lady In Waiting--part of my series of "Lady" quilts.  I call it Lady In Waiting because the flower is a Lenten Rose and the season of Lent is all about waiting.  Anyway, this is my re-do of the quilt that I ruined when I quilted it before.  This time, I used different quilting stitches and different batting and,thankfully, didn't have the same problems.  And, as you can see, I got a blue ribbon!  I can tell you, that was a total surprise--but a welcome one.

And this is my other quilt that was in the show, Oriental Impressions.  For this quilt, I incorporated several motifs that are in my oriental rug in my living room.  I have looked at this rug for years and knew that at some point I wanted to make it into a quilt.  I really had so much fun working it out, taking parts and combining them with other parts and coming up with something entirely different.  My real rug is black and needs re-vacuuming about 10 minutes after I turn off the vacuum ( a poor choice of colors in retrospect) so for this quilt I corrected my egregious error.  And this last picture shows some of the quilting on the border.
I wish I had more pictures to show--but I don't.  I just hope that many of you were able to see the entire show in person and, of course, take advantage of all the wonderful things the vendors brought.  I know my pocketbook was a lot lighter when the weekend was over . . .

No comments: