Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Ready For The Demo

 Well, as you can see, I finished my new sample for my Quilting Feathers Demo at the Asheville Quilt Show this Friday.  I hope if you have the chance, you'll come to the Quilt Show this weekend at the Fairgrounds near the Asheville Airport. I was fortunate to assist in the judging for the show last Thursday and I saw some beautiful quilts.
Anyway, I had a really grand time quilting this sample--except for one thing.  The backing used had a sort of raised painted design (like on some of the white fabrics)  I didn't really realize it when I choose it for a backing because it didn't jump out at me: however, once I started quilting, it was another story entirely.  It wanted to grab the quilt--really badly.  I am now in the market for a Super Slider.
 The following three pictures show the details.  In the first picture, I made the feathers the way I have been doing them until lately (I don't make them so "regular" all the time now).  And the second closeup shows the Diane Gaudynski method.  I purposefully didn't trace any of her designs because I wanted it to come out of MY head, but I really like the way that she separates the individual feathers--thus eliminating the need for so much backtracking.

The last closeup is a stencil that I traced.  I then drew a circle around the outside of it and added the little cushion quilting on the inside of that, emphasizing the curve of the feathers.  And, NOW, I'm ready for Friday.  Hope to see you there.

No comments: