Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

I'm Dyeing To Share Some More


My main disappointment from class #1 was that too much of the undyed fabric color remained after the dyeing was completed.  Marji suggested that I might try to be a little more bold in my dye application.
A couple of years ago I bought the book Tray Dyeing .  I had been fascinated by the wonderful effects obtained by dyeing fabric in trays; however, I was somewhat intimidated by some of the measuring techniques and terms in this book.  Now, having a little more experience under my belt, I took the things I've learned in Marji's class and combined them with some of the things in the Tray Dyeing  book.
When I was in Staples the other day, I came across the perfect "tray" container (pictured below). It measures 13" x 9 " x 3"--and already has a top to cover the dyed fabric while it "cures" (Do I get Staples Rewards for plastic containers?  One can hope.).  So . . .I cut 3 pieces of prepared fabric into 42" squares.  I properly wet each one and folded each into an accordion shape (as I did with the class piece).  I then laid each of these in the container with the edges of the fold perpendicular to the bottom of the tray ( you just keep turning the fabric as you get to the opposing sides of the tray).  After all of the fabric was positioned (and it will hold at least 3 1/2 yds), I began pouring the dyes--which were tourqouise, yellow and a purplish color--all over the fabric.  I sort of tried to determine where the overlapping colors could make more colors.  I poured a LOT of dye.  I then covered the tray for about 1 1/2 hours and the first piece is the result.
For the second piece, I used the technique I used for the  
Hurricane piece.  I swirled a 42" square around and around, put it in the tray and poured the dyes, trying to make the yellow the center and working out from there with red and tourqouise.  I love this piece even though it somewhat hearkens back to some Arlo Guthrie concerts I've attended.
So, now I'm on a roll.  I guess I need to order more fabric.

2 comments:

Dotty said...

Judy...I'm getting "dye envy". Dotty

Robin in WNC said...

I will have to look for some of these when I go to Staples. You have reawakened my "dyeing" bug.