Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

I'm Dyeing To Show You

 I like to take classes at Quilt University http://www.quiltuniversity.com. They offer such a variety of techniques that there is really something for everyone.  This is the 3rd dyeing class that I've taken with Marjie McWilliams.  The things I like about her classes are:
1) I like her work
2) Her techniques and formulas are easy to follow
3) The results are satisfying
4) She is "present" for her class, offering assistance when needed and giving compliments and encouragement to maintain the level of interest.

The name of this class is Three Ways To Dye and it takes you a little beyond the basics.  All three of these samples used a spray bottle to apply the dyes. The first sample was a little more complex because you had to pin the muslin to a frame before you sprayed and then cover it (without the plastic touching the dyes) for about 1 1/2 hours.
All 3 samples used a basic batch of red, blue and yellow dyes (mixed separately and each put into a spray bottle)  The idea of the 1st piece was to spray the red and blue on the sides and then spray the yellow in the center with some overlapping to create green and orange tones.
The 2nd sample was pleated into an accordian and then each dye sprayed across the top.  and the 3rd sample was twisted in a circular motion.  It was supposed to have orange, green and purple tones.  I got brown instead of purple--but I still was happy with the result.
I LOVE to buy hand-dyes when I go to quilt shows and I keep hoping that someday I'll know enough about dyeing fabric to achieve the results that appeal to me in the ones I buy.  I'm definitely not there yet, but the journey is a lot of fun.

No comments: