Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, February 11, 2013

A Sunday Afternoon "Stroll"

 Yesterday, my husband and I went to Dupont State Forest (http://www.dupontforest.com) near Hendersonvile, NC.  This property is so beautiful with some spectacular waterfalls and and well-laid out trails.  It had been a good while since we'd been there so it seemed like a good time.  What struck my eye right away was this tree and several others like it.  See how the trunk is growing on top of a rock formation?  Think of the fortitude it took for that to happen!


One thing to keep in mind about hiking to see waterfalls--it's often a steep trail to the top.  BUT--well worth the effort.  Which I was almost doubting by the time Triple Falls (shown here) came  into view.  And this wasn't even NEAR the top of them.  So very beautiful though.  We made it there though and THEN we started the trek up to High Falls--seen below.  You can also see the covered bridge that is at the top.  And the covered bridge when we actually got there.

 Next, you can see our view from the bridge--where the water is cascading over the falls.  That would be a L - O - N- G fall if one were foolish enough to go to the edge and look down.

 As we were at the top, we saw some people coming up a road.  A Road?  You mean I could have RIDDEN  up here?  Naw . . .it's the destination AND the journey.  Places like this are why I love where I live.  It has gotten more and more difficult to go anywhere these days without the sounds of sirens, traffic, people talking loudly on there cell phones--and all the other things that surround us everyday.  When you're trudging up a steep hill, it is an intentional act based on your desire to experience nature without the barriers that are part of our daily lives.  You can hear the wind moving through the trees and you can hear the water roiling it's way down to the sea.  Your spirit calms and is refreshed.  You go home with a feeling of connectedness to something greater than yourself.  And, hopefully, you'll be back soon.


No comments: