Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, February 2, 2013

One Step At A Time

I am often asked how I come up with an idea for a quilt and my usual answer is that I just kind of pull it out of the atmosphere--and that's largely true.  Most of the time when I begin a quilt, I have absolutely no idea where it's going to end up.
For instance, the quilt that I'm working on right now has been on my design wall for months and the original motif was drawn at least two years ago.  The drawing at the top is the original motif.
 It is on paper that measures about 7" x 9".  I blew it up enough to make it wallhanging-size; however, that made the imperfections and unevenness MUCH more apparent.  I eventually redrew it using a ruler as a guide on each round.  (I wish I were more mathematical or something but my roundabout way of doing things usually gets me where I need to go).  Anyway, that done, I decided on colors for the individual rounds.  I started with purple tones, and as you see, ended up with aqua.  I finished the entire center using my appliqué pressing sheets and that sat around for several months while I explored backing options.
I finally decided to use a Ricky Tims hand dye and cut up blocks to sew together.  I hated it--but now I had used up quite a bit of my somewhat pricey hand dye.  I really liked the color, however, so I ordered more.

Now, using my non-mathematical skills again, I drew out the sunburst design, ordered more fabric and cut out my pattern.  Would that all the seams came together neatly and successfully . . .Not!  I spent quite a while making that work out--including cutting out the entire center.
So now, the quilt hung around the studio on the design wall for months. Finally, this week I pulled some more stuff out of the atmosphere and got going again.  It has taken off in a direction that I NEVER expected it to and, so far, I am really happy with it.
Am I near finished?  No.  Do I know where is it going or when it will be finished? No.  What I am learning over and over again is to trust in the work and enjoy the journey.  And that's a pretty good thing to learn.

No comments: