Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Fine Group of Women

 Yesterday, I taught a class on Machine Appliqué at Asheville Cotton Company--a store full of beautiful fabrics and equally beautiful Bernina sewing machines.
One thing that I really like about teaching is getting to know so many different quilters and to listen to them share in their individual stories.  Each of us has a story that is uniquely our own--the thing that makes us special.  And how often these days do we take the time just to listen?
That's one of the benefits of a quilting class--there's time to talk while you learn.
For most of the people there yesterday, machine appliqué was a new skill they wanted to learn.  They didn't know about using the blanket stitch and some of them feared using the satin stitch to secure their
appliqué pieces to the background.  And Wonder
Under?  What was that?  We discussed stitch widths and
lengths, appropriate needle sizes, tension
and many other facets of successful appliqué  and I think
everyone learned a little more about their machines.
(One of the great things about teaching in a machine
dealership is that there is help for machine problems
when needed).
But what was the best thing about yesterday?  Easy.
Everyone approached the class with a spirit of
adventure and a desire to learn something new.  If
they didn't get it right the first time, they just kept
on trying.  But, the very best part was that we
laughed a lot, shared our stories and became a
community for that one day.  What more could
you ask for?

No comments: