Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

She Did It AGAIN!

Last Tuesday, I worked with several of our Mt. Pleasant quilters at the Susan G. Komen annual luncheon at the Shriner's hall. Ellen Byrd, a former member of our Guild, is the person who coordinates all of the official merchandise and gets volunteers to sell it (c'est moi). It is a wonderful affair and is a great opportunity to celebrate the success achieved in breast cancer research and to look to the future in a cancer-free world. The survivors who come are such upbeat people and are shining lights to those around them.
Well, I made a quilt a while back, called Hidden Potential, that is about breast cancer. The message of this quilt is that even though things can look rosy on the outside, there can be little bits of cancer lurking around the inside and, thus, we should get checked regularly to make sure that our insides look as good as our outside. And I have to admit that I made this quilt after NOT being checked for more than five years ( a prime example of keeping one's head in the sand--I've since had the mammogram). You'll probably have to click on this quilt to enlarge it in order to really see the little bad black things hiding out. My husband kept referring to the red circles at the bottom as "PackMen." The purpose of them was to represent the good medicine gobbling up the bad cells. Well, he kept referring to them as PackMen and, finally, I just had to change it because I didn't want the quilt to be about PackMen. I spent several evenings taking out all of the stitches--and here you see the new version. The colored band has a lot of beading and then I added the little hidden cells. I'm fairly pleased with it and, at least, it's no longer about Packmen.

5 comments:

KK said...

Judy, what a lot of work - but I'm glad you did it - I have to tell you that everyone on the judging committee kept wondering what the Packmen were all about! LOL

Judy Heyward said...

Yeah, Karen--I am, too. I guess I really missed on that one. But it's all a learning experience, isn't it?

KK said...

I am just amazed that you would do all the work to change the quilt. I'm afraid I would just say...oh well, hope to do better on the next one.

Judy Heyward said...

And that's probably the best way to go, Karen--but I am what I am and sometimes I just have to do it if I'm going to have the quilt around and be looking at it. I just wish I could figure it out BEFORE I do it the first time!

KK said...

Well, see, your quilts are works of art......and I admire you for taking the time and love to make your art what it is......beautiful and meaningful. To tell the truth the "packmen" didn't bother me - which shows how clueless I am.