Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wow!

This morning, we rode up to Orangeburg, SC to visit the Edisto Gardens. We had heard that they had a big Rose Festival each year and had planned on going last Friday, but it just didn't work out. So, today was the day. As we pulled up, all we could say was "Wow!" Roses, roses, roses---everywhere. I'm sorry that I didn't get the full overview shot--which I was going to do on the way out--but all I can say is that they put the roses at the Biltmore House in Asheville to shame. As we started walking into the rose area, our senses were enveloped in the scent of roses. And the first row of roses that we saw were incredible. I don't remember the name of this rose--of course--but I call it Huge Bouquet Rose. Each one of the clusters was large enough for an entire bridal bouquet. And these shrub roses on the right were so brilliant that all I could think was "Hot, Hot, Hot." I won't bore you with tons more rose pictures but it truly was one of the more magnificent floral experiences of my gardening life. The Edisto Gardens is located along the Edisto River and, because of that, there are many cypress knees along the pond areas there and even bigger ones in the wet areas. The bronze statue on the left was of the lady who more or less spearheaded the creation of the gardens. And the picture on the right is of a small waterwheel down in the river itself. There were some smaller gardens that were interesting, also. The entire thing is so beautifully done and guess what? It's free! So if you have the time, go--but I would advise going before it gets too hot--the roses are in the full sun.

Another gardening note: Horney the Toad. I LOVE yard art. Or you might put it into a more refined context and call it hardscape in the garden. At any rate, I saw this incredible creature at K-Mart and HAD to have it. Now, Horney is not a small toad. He's actually quite manly in size--about 10 inches in height. And he has glass eyes that seem to follow you around. I just wish he would eat bothersome insects--then he would be absolutely perfect!

And on a quilting note: This is a lap quilt I just finished for out-of-town cancer patients who have to stay in town for their treatments--one of the projects our Guild is sponsoring this year. I THINK it's called Hope House but I could very likely be wrong as to the exact name. Anyway, I did finish this one and have enough blocks to make another one. I know that these quilts do bring comfort to people in various situations and I really believe that it's important to give back to the others when we ourselves have been so blessed.

2 comments:

KK said...

Wow! is right, Judy. I haven't been to Edisto Gardens in awhile and it looks like I need to visit again soon. Thanks for sharing.

Your quilt for Hope Lodge is awesome. Thanks too for giving your time and talent to our community project.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks for giving me the correct name of Hope Lodge, Karen. I will have two more by next meeting. If you've been to Edisto Gardens then you KNOW how beautiful it is--a real gem.