Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Appreciate The Good Things That Are Yours

I know that I am not alone in worrying about hurricanes these days. And although it appears that we won't get much damage from Hannah, Ike is roaring up from the vast ocean with a terrible force that threatens to destroy all that we hold dear. I know that I will be very difficult to live with in the coming days until either we evacuate and wait to see what we have left afterwards OR we are spared once again. I think that once you have lived through a hurricane such as Hugo you just don't view storms quite so cavalierly as you might once have.
So between worrying about what I can't change and just the general personal hassle of dealing with two elderly parents, I've probably had a little pity party going on.
And then my husband read the obituaries this morning and we learned that our computer guru had died at the age of 49, leaving 5 children and a wife to mourn his loss. And then Smokey and I went to the hospital and sat with a friend while his wife was in surgery--rather, I should say her FIRST surgery because she will be having another one after she recovers from this one. And her husband, himself, is dealing with the devastating side-effects of lifesaving drugs for the treatment of his leukemia. After we returned home from the hospital, I had a call from another friend who is waiting for September 15th to arrive so she can go to Charlotte and have extensive surgery on her knee so that, hopefully, she will once again she will be able to live without constant, debilitating pain. And the list goes on. And if I can let go of my ego just long enough to really think about how greatly blessed I am in spite of my lack of free time and possible need to evacuate, then, perhaps, my life will be more joy-filled and I will be far less crabby. I'm working on it. . .

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Pitty Parties are necessary periodically. Here in Columbia I am also watching the Atlantic. You are right about not seeing hurricanes the same after Hugo. The wind can be just a little high and I still get on edge. Hang in there Judy and if you evacuate, wave as you pass Columbia on your way to Ashville.If it looks bad enough, I will wave at you on my way through Ashville to some point WEST of the Smokies.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Joyce. Things are looking worse here but not bad enough to evacuate. All the yard stuff is put away and the necessary supplies are bought. I hope neither of us have to wave!

Jeanne said...

JUDY

Looks like Ike is taking the gulf path, good for us but not so good for the folks in that area. Especially with what has already been there. No matter how bad you have it there is always someone worse off to make us grateful for what we do have. Don't dispare our heavenly Father has it all under control. New pics on my page. a quilt and kids room pics.
JP

KK said...

Judy - whenever I feel overwhelmed I sit down at my sewing machine for a few minutes and do some mindless piecing (lately it's been strings). Seems to smooth me out.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks for the advice, Karen. I made the mistake of trying to find a pattern to do and realized that it would have been better just to make four patches! I do have a little more focus now and am working on something I want to. And thanks for the encouraging thoughts, Jeanne. I appreciate them.