Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'm Dyeing To Show You!

For the last few years, I have drooled over hand-dyed fabrics. That was one of the major highlights of my trips to Houston and Paducah--especially the Ricky Tims hand-dyes. To be able to see stacks and stacks of those beautiful fabrics and take home ones that were too beautiful to resist.
Well, as much as I love hand-dyes, I have mightily resisted the urge to do my own. I viewed it as just one more thing to interfere with my quilting. However, the desire to have a piece of red hand-dyed fabric just when I want it has overcome my better judgment and, so, I signed up for a class on Quilt University. I have had all of the supplies for several weeks but have been unable to start because all of the things that have occured in my family of late.
BUT, yesterday was the day. I began with the first lesson(I'm having to remember that thing about baby steps first!) . This was about using primary colors and just doing solid dyeing. Those are the 3 on the left. And then, after that was done, the colors on the right resulted from mixing the primary colors into secondary colors. These are more on the pastel side because the first pieces took up most of the dye. I really like both results.
The next lesson was on scrunching the fabric and producing a mottled effect. I REALLY liked this lesson. The paler piece resulted from mixing all three secondary colors together.


I realized after yesterday that it was very reminiscent of my days as a potter. I would mix the chemicals together to make the glazes for my pots; I would then apply them to the pots and put them into the kiln. After many hours in a VERY hot kiln, I would wait for it to cool down and then the hour came when I could open the door and see what magic had been wrought when the glazes turned from powder into flowing color. Most of the time I was very happy and other times there were some surprises. The process of dyeing is very much like that and I am so happy that there have been only good surprises so far.

5 comments:

Corky said...

I liked the scrunch method best too. Your fabrics look wonderful.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Corky. Next, it's the gradations!

Jeanne said...

GREAT JOB JUDY

Looks like you had great success on the two sessions. I love the scrunched fabric too. can't wait to see the gradations.

KK said...

Hi, Judy! Fabric dyeing is so much fun - and with both you and Corky now trying your hands at it I think I need to get all my stuff out and play some, too. But not till a get some "must-dos" off my plate.

Judy Heyward said...

It IS fun, Karen. I'm going to start my gradations right now.