Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Jacksonville Quilt Show

We had a great trip to Jacksonville to the Quiltfest Quilt Show held annually at the Convention Center. It was, as usual, a large show with many beautiful quilts and lots of vendors to tempt you. I took some pictures there and will share a few of them. This quilt was Best of Show and was very well done. The one on the right was one of the stars of the show, however. It didn't win any awards but it certainly drew a lot of attention. The entire surface of the front was covered with beads --as was the BACK of the quilt. The quilt actually shimmered and drew you in to see just what was causing it. It certainly had that wow factor!

The next quilt was Best Machine Quilting. You can't really tell it from my photo, but the quilting was quite interesting with a lot of different motifs throughout the surface of the quilt. And the design of the flowers was nice, too. I'm sorry about the angle of the shot--I guess I kaddy-whomped the camera!

The quilt with the chair was kind of interesting as it was a play on words (which it took me a second pass to really GET it--a big "Duh" for me!) Instead of "Life is just a bowl of cherries" it says, "Life is just a chair of bowlies."
And then there was the quilt that seemed to have "Florida" written all over it. It had a lot of three-dimensional things attached to the surface.

This medallion quilt was very pleasing to the eye. The colors were nice and the work was excellent.
The vendors had just about anaything you could want and there was a booth that had the brand-new Bernina so one could drool over all the wonderful features. I'll have to admit that it presented a very tempting opportunity to buy-buy-buy.

During our second day in Florida, we went to a quilt shop in Ormond Beach--over 6,000 bolts of fabric. I don't really like to buy yardage at a quilt show because there are always so many people either waiting to get fabric cut or it's too cramped in the booth to really look. So I was glad to go to this shop and I did manage to make a few purchases.
What an effort.
The last thing we saw in Jacksonville was an exhibit at the Contemporary Museum of Art. There was a series of statues made from some kind of polymer--or something synthetic--that were so lifelike that you had a hard time not believing they were real. Please take a look at this link to see one of them for yourself. It's incredible! http://www.mocajacksonville.org/current/m-sijan08
Jacksonville is a nice city to visit and I can hardly wait for next year.

4 comments:

Corky said...

Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks like it was a nice show.

Jeanne said...

hey Judy

I see your name on the finalists list at Houston for Swamp Hibiscus!! Congratulations. Do you know what you got yet. Jeanne

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Jeanne. As far as being a finalist . . .what that means is that I got into the show. It IS an honor to do that with so many other wonderful quilters applying from all over the world. As far as an actual award--I don't know . . .

Jeanne said...

Judy
I hear that Houston is notifying there winners this week. Sure hope you get a call. It is such an honor just to get in. That would be a lifetime goal for me just to get accepted. Jeanne