Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Music-Music-Music

Tonight I had the wonderful experience of going to the Episcopal Cathedral of St. Luke and St. Paul in downtown Charleston. Now, I've been there many times, but tonight was something very special--an ecumenical hymnfest which not only included many christian churches in the area, but also the Jewish community. Sitting there, listening to the prelude on their magnificent pipe organ, it was so uplifting and not at all difficult to believe that one was hearing a hint of what the music of angels must sound like.
The music was so very diverse: There was a black choir that literally belted out "Wade in the Water" and had the entire congregation moving and clapping to the rhythm of their music. There was a Jewish choir that sang in Hebrew with words so evocative-sounding that you really didn't have to understand their meaning. The Citadel Men's choir was there and so was an ensemble from Sea Coast Church. And there was a group of shape-note singers. Each one was different and each one was outstanding. And the fun part was that WE got to sing with them, along with that pipe organ and the brass instruments.

What an evening.

No comments: