Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Relieved

Have you ever spent months on a quilt and got down to the wire of finishing and realized that it just wasn't going to be a keeper? Well, that is what happened to me with my quilt, Shady Ladies. This was the finished top. I went on to quilt it and was pretty happy with that.
Here is a detail shot of one of the leaves. And a detail shot of the beadwork on the petals.
The problem came when I was finished with all of that. I blocked the wallhanging and then squared up the corners before sewing on the binding. I THOUGHT everything was copasetic--only it wasn't. When I finished all of those steps, I ended up with the "waviest" border that I have EVER done. I, of course, not wanting to admit this, went ahead and sewed on the rod pocket. But when I hung it up, no miracle had occured.

So then I was faced with a decision--Should I leave it the way it was and just admit defeat and move on--OR--do I try to do something about it? I left it up for several days hoping that inspiration would envelop me. Well, it kind of did. I was looking for something in a drawer in my studio and came across some pre-done beadwork I've had around for a while. Eureka! I removed the rod pocket and all of the binding. I then cut away as much of the border as I reasonably could. There was still some waviness so I then sewed a running stitch along all sides and GENTLY pulled the threads to ease out the remaining fullness. I then attached the beads and then the binding.. And NOW--now I'm a happy camper. I'm still not exactly sure why I encountered all of the waves that I did because I generally had even quilting across the entire surface. But I may have used the crosswise cut of fabric for the borders--I just don't remember--however, you can be sure that I'll be more careful about that in the future. At any rate, I now have a smooth quilt--and the work was worth it.


On a smaller note, I spent several hours with my friend, Pam, the other day. She provided the pattern and the fabric for this miniature fall wallhanging. It was a fun way to start thinking about decorating for Halloween. I agree with Karen that I prefer autumn decorations over Christmas ones--probably because fall is my favorite season. It's a time to wind down from the gardening and heat of the summer and just enjoy the cooler air.




5 comments:

KK said...

Don't all "shady ladies" need bead fringe? I'm glad you got your overly friendly quilt to stop waving. I've read about that method of easing in border fullness on one of my online forums. And your pumpkin and crow is just darling - I can hear Maureen coveting it all the way out here in Harleyville.

Corky said...

Another beautiful quilt Judy. It's nice to learn how others deal with the wrinkles (pun intended) I seem to always encounter.

Judy Heyward said...

I never thought about it before, Karen, but I guess you're right--shady ladies do need fringe! And corky, sometimes desperation is the best teacher.

Joyce said...

Judy, I like the final outcome better than the first.Of course, I like having asymetric borders on pieces like this. And the beads add so much to the piece. If you won't tell about the final steps, then I won't.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks Joyce!