Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, October 17, 2008

Lemonade

I had a great day sewing with the TTT Gang earlier this week. When I left, I forgot to bring home the sewing machine I had planned on using to finish my project. "Well," I decided, "I DO have other machines at home--so no big deal." The next evening, I got out my Janome 6500 to piece the rest of the blocks I had started the day before. I got it set up and then realized--NO POWER CORD. I looked around for at least an hour but it was a no go. So, I pulled out the Baby Lock, set it up and--no 1/4" foot. The force was definitely not with me. And I didn't want to use my Bernina because I had it set up for something else.
What to do? Well, if you can't sew, then you certainly can fuse! I started looking through some books and came across Home For The Harvest by Nancy Smith and Lynda Milligan. I have made several projects from this book over the years and this was one that I made for my son's family (this picture is scanned from the book itself). I didn't want to do this again--especially if I hope to actually finish by Halloween--so I decided to do the witch alone. I decided to increase the size by 140% and ended up having a fun evening figuring out how to do that with my printer and then tracing and fusing. The next morning I went out to PPQ and got a new power cord (they very nicely took one off of a machine for me and ordered another one for themselves) and pieced the background. Last night and this morning I fused the pieces to the quilt and NOW it's on to the blanket stitch.
The bottom line? I am going to end up with a cute Halloween wallhanging that wouldn't have been if I hadn't had the problem in the first place. Definitely lemonade.

5 comments:

Corky said...

Very cute!

KK said...

Judy - I've been looking at your machine and feeling bad that it was in my studio and not at your house but I'm so busy I couldn't figure out a way to get it to you. Had I known you were going to be at PPQ I could have met you there. But I'm glad you got to make "lemonade" instead - your witch is adorable.

I worked hard all day on retreat stuff and still have some to do tomorrow but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully by Monday I can start thinking about what I want to work on at retreat.

Judy Heyward said...

No reason to feel bad, Karen. It was my fault entirely--and it worked out! I was glad to find out that I was missing a power cord before I REALLY needed it and I wouldn't have made the witch otherwise. The plants are in alignment.

Jeanne said...

Cute little witch Judy! Sometimes unexpected situations do turn out okay after all. Good job! JP

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks,Jeanne.