Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Monday, October 13, 2008

It's In The Bag

Anyone who knows me can testify that I'm not exactly a fashion diva (an understatement). So, I usually have one purse that can go with most everything and I use it until it wears out. Well, it wore out. I was in T.J.Maxx the other day and decided to give the handbags a perusal. I saw the perfect one--it was black (goes with everything)--it was huge (holds everything)--BUT--it wasn't cheap--$140.00. Now, I just don't go out and plop down that much money on the counter for a handbag so I didn't buy it. However, when I told my husband about it he said, "Go back and get it." So, a couple of days later, back I went and guess what? It was gone, of course.
Back to the drawing board.
I came to my senses and started thinking about all the fabric I'm surrounded by daily--beautiful fabric!--fabric that could be made into many purses for the cost of one. So, here is handbag #1--with more to follow. I just am going to have to be more fashion conscious and use more than one in order to sort of coordinate from time to time. And, as part of that goal, I have lightened the load in the bag itself. I had at least 7 keys on my keychain that I had no clue as to what they might fit. That's a start.

On another note, my neighbor was in a craft show at the Omar Shrine Temple on Saturday and we decided to go check it out. She makes lovely one-of-a-kind clay pieces and is a great example of beginning a new craft later in life. There was a nice crowd and I hope she did well. While we didn't buy anything of hers (I can, after all, buy from her when I need it and have a nice chat at the same time) but we did buy a sweet grass basket from Elizabeth Masyck. We wanted a basket that would do for serving bread and this was was tightly woven and just the right size. But the best part was talking with Elizabeth. Most of you know the story about sweetgrass baskets and I'm so glad that these women are now getting prices that reflect their artistry and effort (we all, after all, want to receive adequate compensation for our creativity and labor). A lot of the credit for increased respect can be given to Mary Jackson, who recently won a major award for her work over the years and has worked tirelessly to raise the level of her work and others to be recognized as art. Some wonderful examples of her baskets can be seen at the Charleston Airport. In the meantime, I'm really going to enjoy the one I got from Elizabeth.

2 comments:

Corky said...

Love the bag. I'm not much for making purses, although I have made a few. I also really like the sweetgrass basket. In all the years I've lived in Charleston, I've never purchased one but I'm always stopping to admire them.

KK said...

Did you show the bag today at TTT and I missed it? Really cool. Great basket. I've purchased a few over the years for gifts - I think I need one for ME now. I did take a class onces - I had a sweetgrass coaster for a long time!! LOL