Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, January 9, 2009

At Last--A Finished Top!


It seems to take me forever these days to get anything done but--I am happy to say--I have finished the quilt top that I have been working on for months. And, like most quilts that I make, it ended up being almost nothing like I had envisioned at the beginning. All along I have had my trusted color advisor (my husband) offering me hints and giving critiques and, I must say, most of what he had to say was pretty helpful. I don't always agree with him but he sure makes me stop and consider other options. He has always been my biggest cheerleader and best support.
So, now I'm finished with the top and will move on to considering the back (I kind of already know what I'm going to do there) and then deciding on the quilting (this is the HARD part).
My inspiration for this quilt started with the background--which is composed of Japanese fabrics--the taupes and graytones that are so prevalent in their quilts. I have seen so many beautiful Japanese quilts at Houston and Paducah and so eagerly bought a stack of fat quarters when I saw them at a show. And there they sat for two years. Well, I've finally used them and, naturally, my quilt doesn't look Japanese at all. But it suits me.
Several people have told me that my main design reminds them of weather vanes and, although I kind of agreed with them, I couldn't really think of a title that would be appropriate to that idea. Until it hit me. Whither Goest Thou? kind of says it all. I think I'll stick with it.
Back to my husband. Not only is he a great support emotionally to me in my quilting, he is a great "implementor" as well. I have been working on designing a new class on making quilted mirrors (watch for it on my website soon!) and he has pitched in to make the frame-forms for the kit. (we DID have a little discussion about just what material would be best--I won!). Such a blessing to have a life partner who has a heart of love and generosity.

9 comments:

Joyce said...

I have admired this ever since you posted the first block. The finished product is Awesome! Congratulations.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks so much for your kind remarks, Joyce. It's so nice to hear them from someone who does such nice work herself.

KK said...

Just love it, Judy. Please bring to TTT so we can see it up close and personal.

It's nice to hear that some men have good color sense. If the Ref gave me any advice I would immediately do the opposite. When we married I threw out his entire wardrobe!

Corky said...

Judy, another home run. Hope to see it close up soon.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Karen and Corky. Such kind words. I'll try to remember to bring it on Tuesday.

Jeanne said...

Judy

It turned out wonderful, Isn't just so fun to have something finished and it be so pleasing. I think if you tried to do it more quickly and didn't labor over each and every step it would not turn out to be the masterpiece that it is. I would say it is most like a journey that takes you along for the ride. Hence the name is perfect!! Congratulations it is sure to be a winner

Judy Heyward said...

Well, Jeanne, can you see just how big my head is right now! I do thank you for the very kind remarks. One of my biggest life lessons in the past several years is to not be in a hurry and stay still long enough for the quilt to have its own say about how it should turn out.

Vicki said...

love it. cant wait to see it up close.

Judy Heyward said...

Thanks, Vicki. I t was good to see you at the Cobblestone meeting.