Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Decluttering

Last week, I went to Tennessee Quilts in Jonesboro, TN. What a great shop! If you're into Kaffe Fassett fabrics, this is the place to go. I couldn't help thinking of my friend, Alice, while I was there because she makes some pretty wonderful quilts with his fabrics.
We were in our home in Hendersonville, NC last week so it really wasn't a big deal to ride over to Tennessee. BUT the big deal was that I forgot to take my camera. The ride over there is so very beautiful--gorgeous vistas with wide valleys, thrift rolling down rock walls, forsythia brilliant as the sun. And me with no camera. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go back.
When I got back to Mt. Pleasant, I was struck with the de-cluttering bug and the object of my bug was my quilting magazines. I have literally hundreds of them and when I want to look something up I have absolutely no idea where to find it. So, I bit the bullet and looked through EACH magazine, tore out the patterns I wanted and carted the detritus off to the recycling bin. When my husband picked up one of the boxes he was a little surprised at the weight of a container of magazines only--newspapers are sort of light by comparison.
This "Before" picture shows only the tip of the iceburg. And the "After" picture makes me happy.
I will have to admit that I did not exact the same carving up on my Quilter's Newsletter Magazines--they come under the category of a "Collection"--as least that is my excuse! I just couldn't make myself mutilate them.
NOW--here's hoping that I will keep up the good work and do the winnowing-out each month rather than every 6 years or so. What a concept!

4 comments:

Corky said...

Isn't it funny how spring gives so many of us that declutter urge? I've managed to fight it off so far this year!

KK said...

Once a month?? I'm more into once a year if I'm lucky.

Judy Heyward said...

One can always dream, Karen.

KK said...

Yeah, but who wants to dream about "eating spinach?"