Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I'm glad you stopped by to see what these Musings are all about. Since they're straight off the top of my head, I haven't exactly figured it out myself! We all muddle through each day and, hopefully, we find something to rejoice in as we choose, sort, piece and quilt our beautiful stashes of fabric.
Please visit my website: http://www.judithheyward.com/ to learn more about my quilts. Or contact me at judyheyward@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments. Thanks.

Friday, April 10, 2009

How I Spent my Friday Afternoon

The weather has been so nice this past week and I KNOW the heat of summer is slithering in and will catch us unawares and we'll wonder what happened to Spring. So now is a great time to get some long-awaited chores done in the yard. No time like the present!
I haven't gotten too much done outdoors in the past weeks because my husband and I have been having a "discussion" about wheelbarrows. We have 3 of them and NONE of them work. He kept saying he was going to repair them but that day never seemed to come. And what's a gardener to do without a wheelbarrow? It was a stalemate. Well, the solution came this morning. I hauled the 3 wheelbarrows out to the street for the trash collectors on Monday morning and we bought a brand new one at Lowe's. And there was no time like the present to put it to use.
We were fortunate to have been given these slate slabs by my brother several years ago when they were left over from one of his jobs. We used them in our home in Snee Farm and then picked them back up and brought them with us to our present house. (Yes, we ARE gluttons for punishment). My husband built a beautiful entrance walkway with some of them and enclosed it with Belgium blocks (see lower right of photo). We still have quite a few left and I've been dithering about what to do with them. So . . .this afternoon, I built this walkway that goes into the backyard--with a platform to the left for the garbage can. And, yes, they are heavy--most of the slabs are 2" thick.
I have to tell you--I absolutely love doing this kind of work. When we lived on our acreage in the mountains I did all kinds of things like this. But it's just not the same living on a 1/3 acre lot in the middle of town, so I haven't done much of anything like this recently. It was a LOT of fun and very satisfying to do; however, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a major case of soreness waiting for me in a few hours. I've already taken the Advil!

1 comment:

KK said...

The walkway is beautiful but I bet you are "feeling the pain."